Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 04-May-2005, 21:41
Mille

Mood: dooM
Replacements for Metzler Racetecs

Hi all,

My 748 is currently wearing a pair of Racetecs which by the time I have finished the impending trackday will probably be ready for the skip.

The tyres would seem great for the track / ultra fast road riding but less so for everyday riding. I have found they take an age to get heat into and are not very confidence inspiring in the wet so would be looking to change to a different make.

What do we recommend around here? I have heard good words about Pirellis and Dunlop D207R. Any other recommendations?
Old 04-May-2005, 22:37
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Diablo`s

Chris.
Old 04-May-2005, 23:18
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Interesting comments you've got about the Racetec's there Hogfish.

I've just finished off a set of 208GP's and thought they were brilliant for track work, they build plenty of heat quickly and lasted longer than I'd expected. And they were 'adequate' on the roads in the wet, and while not so grippy on a wet track they did give heaps of warning as to when they were thinking of letting go.

Before the GP's, I had 207RR's and wasn't nearly as impressed with them. I guess they were a good all-round tyre but they didn't suit the way I use tyres... my road riding is, 99% of the time, slow sensible and within the law, so I can't really give an opinion on that which maybe you're looking for. It's the track stuff that I evaluate rubber for and this let them down for me, they just seemed to be on the edge of adhesion all the time, and until I turned into a race god last weekend (yeah ok, give me a break, I'm still on a high!) I wasn't a very quick rider so shouldn't have been causing them the grief they seemed to be complaining about.

I thought your comments on the Racetec's were interesting because I've just procured myself a set for a price too good to refuse, so I've got to get them fitted and try them. I'd be happy to hear word from anyone else who's used Racetec's too.
Old 04-May-2005, 23:23
Mille

Mood: dooM
I think as a trackday tyre they will be brilliant. I am at Snetterton on the 16th May so will report back. I just find for everyday riding, wet roads and all that they take a long time to warm up. It may be a mental block thingy, but with no tread on the outside edges I feel very nervous with the bike in the rain.

That aside I have heard people rave about their performance so I could be waaayyy off the mark!
Old 04-May-2005, 23:28
Ducati in my Blood

Looking at the tread pattern, I can't do anything but agree with that!
Old 01-Jun-2005, 00:34
Ducati in my Blood

Took the 996 out for a blat today for the first time since I realised it had no mot 2 months ago! First time test for the racetecs k2's.

Only dry road riding so not a real test for them but first impression says they're frighteningly sticky! Hogfisch says they take an age to get up to temp - I didn't find that at all, in fact they built heat pretty quick. When I stopped after about 40 miles of lanes they were as hot as the 208GP's ever got on the track... I reckon they're going to get fried at Cadwell! After a few tentative corner exits to get used to the grip, I was having no issues with full throttle 3rd gear while the knee was still dragging - they were just refusing to let go, they wouldn't even drift.

They've got a higher crown than the dunlops, and that's quicked up the turning to great effect. The racetecs along with the steeper steering angle and we're closing in on fireblade teritory for quick steering. It did make the front very prone to a bit of weaving in a straight line, since the slightest movement on the bars would make the tyre think it's about to see a corner. Not sure if this will encourage the tank slappers, but there was no sign of one today.

They're not going last long by the look of it - I'll be lucky to get 1000 miles I reckon.

Can't wait to try them on track - I hope it's dry at Cadders

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts weeksy, don't forget to write your bit of rubbish! (Your words!)
Old 01-Jun-2005, 00:54
500SD

Mood: 2 for 1 mmm :)
yea im hoping to get these next as u basicallly getting legal slicks for the road, good to hear your first impressions NB.

/ian
Old 19-Jul-2005, 15:47
500SD

got a set of k2 compound racetec's on their way to for me for TA4
(£189 delivered!)
ps.
i've gone for a 190 back tyre.
Old 20-Jul-2005, 00:36
Big Twin
Bikes: Kawasaki ZX10r D6f, Dawes XC2.4, Planet X Superlight Pro Carbon

Mood: aving a laff
Quote:
Originally posted by chillo
got a set of k2 compound racetec's on their way to for me for TA4
(£189 delivered!)
ps.
i've gone for a 190 back tyre.

Thats a damned good price Chillo.

Did they come from Leeds too?

I have a mate who races and cant get em for that!
Old 26-Jul-2005, 18:20
500SD

well can now give an interim report on k2 Racetec's after Caddy yesterday.
Excellent tyres, warmed up within half a lap with grip even when cold, no movement when really pushed, confidence inspiring and a geniuine improvement over the race compound rennsports.
Will see how they are after they after Fridays action when i go back to Cadwell. Be interesting to see how they are after some serious abuse......