Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 11-Jun-2006, 22:45
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Slipper Clutch Spider Spring

Fitted a S/H slipper a couple of weeks ago and the spider spring that came with it was almost flat, stuck a new one in and now 2 weeks later the clutch is slipping and the spring looks like its not pushing plates and has flattened again anyone got any idea what can cause the spider spring to flatten so quickly??
Old 11-Jun-2006, 22:48
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Im on my third..........i think they are fairly weak. I see the 4 post clutch gets a bigger spring!
Old 11-Jun-2006, 23:19
500SD

i've had 3 fail on me, they just seem to crack and break up!
Absolute shite if you ask me, especially as they are £40 each time

Is there a heavy duty/race spec replacement available which might be a bit more durable?
Old 11-Jun-2006, 23:23
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
Mikey

When you said it was going I didn't realise it was that bad or I would have left you another one.

I get through them all the time and I am sure there must be a cheaper and better alternative.

As has been said there are really strong ones, but from what I gather they make it pretty heavy gong on the clutch action.
Old 11-Jun-2006, 23:24
Big Twin

oops, sounds like this could be coming out quite quickly, 2 weeks of road riding and its fooked?? not much use given the mileage and use I give my bike
Old 11-Jun-2006, 23:26
Big Twin

it was bad Lil, struggled to get up hartside tonight had some interesting moments when the rear wheel caught up with the slip over the crests It'll be that Martin H playing on his way back down the lake on Saturday afternoon, knew I shouldn't have swapped bikes , sorry don't mean it Martin
Old 11-Jun-2006, 23:27
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
the other option is to do what I do and live with comedy clutch when it starts to go..

Makes roundabouts and junctions mildly interesting, but you get used to the whine and the slip after a while..
Old 11-Jun-2006, 23:50
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
Are you guys sure you are fitting it correctley? I've had mine now nearly three years and only changed the spring because I ferked it up trying to get it off the 748.
Old 11-Jun-2006, 23:52
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo
it was bad Lil, struggled to get up hartside tonight had some interesting moments when the rear wheel caught up with the slip over the crests It'll be that Martin H playing on his way back down the lake on Saturday afternoon, knew I shouldn't have swapped bikes , sorry don't mean it Martin

I had my earplugs in Michael when you gave me your bike and thought you said "See if you can WHEELIE it back to the house" Sorry I now realise you had said "Take it REALLY easy back to the house"
Old 12-Jun-2006, 09:46
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
I agree with Jon, here. They should last quite a long time. One clue is how much you need to compress them when you install the centre nut. It should only compress a couple of millimeters, and nowhere near "flat". Also, the spider spring doesn't affect the heaviness of the clutch or clutch slip when accelerating. That's controlled by the standard clutch springs. If the spider spring is worn out, you'd simply get excessive clutch slip when decelerating.