Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-Jun-2006, 03:20

999 Rev Limiter Light

Hi from New Zealand,
I have been searching the web for weeks, trying to find information, the dealers here are useless. I have a 2004 999, a while ago it was in the garage turned off, and my son heard a whirring noise coming from it, we problem solved that one and worked out there was a problem with the thermo fans, have had the battery out, and now after going through the code sequence, the upper rpm light is constantly flashing and will not stop? Any ideas as to why or is this just some sort of security system? Thanks, PUNKEE.
Old 18-Jun-2006, 07:18
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
First off,Hi and welcome to the board.Its usual for newbies to get a round in at the virtual bar,.......mines a pint of Stella.
You could be worrying about nowt,as the red limit light is supposed to flash when the key is removed from the ignition.Its perfectly normal,its just the ECU telling you the bikes imobiliser security system is working.
The red light does switch itself off after a while to conserve the battery.
You should be able to find all this info in the bikes handbook.If you dont have the book,you can download one from Ducati.com.
There ya go,...all the '04 handbooks here;
http://www.ducati.com/bikes/service/...delName=2 004

Last edited by KeefyB : 18-Jun-2006 at 07:20.
Old 18-Jun-2006, 08:06
Mille

Mood: Bring the noise!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PUNKEE
Hi from New Zealand,
have had the battery out, and now after going through the code sequence, the upper rpm light is constantly flashing and will not stop? Any ideas as to why or is this just some sort of security system? Thanks, PUNKEE.

Where are you based mate? Need a bit more info.

Had the bike been ridden before the fans came on or had it been sitting for a while? How did you solve that problem.

Why did you remove the battery. Why did you need to go through the code sequence?

Doe's the upper RPM light only flash after the key is removed?
Old 18-Jun-2006, 11:22

Initially the fans were on after it had been in the garage on its own, after they had been on for a while they sent the battery flat, thus I removed it and recarged it, when i placed it back in the bike, the EOBD light and code key symbol was on the dash. Did all the code sequence then when the bike was turned off it left the oil light and neutral light on, and you could not turn it off with the key. Rand dealer and checked relays, all seems good, but two lights still on. Took apart thermo fan terminals dried them and cleaned them, problem solved, two lights gone out but, now the rpm light stays on even after the bike is turned off and key is out, light goes off when bike is running. I have let it sit for 48 hours and the light continues to flash, the owners manual doesnt really cover this problem. Bike runs fine, no problems with engine or fans, just that pesky light, any ideas?
Old 19-Jun-2006, 07:05
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
I have let it sit for 48 hours and the light continues to flash, the owners manual doesnt really cover this problem. Bike runs fine, no problems with engine or fans, just that pesky light, any ideas?
Just been out to check mine.Its approx 36 hours since I last had the ignition on,.....the lights still flashing.
As I said before,its a security feature,its supposed to flash.
Old 19-Jun-2006, 09:09
Mille

Mood: Great
Quote:
Hi from New Zealand,
I have been searching the web for weeks, trying to find information, the dealers here are useless. I have a 2004 999, a while ago it was in the garage turned off, and my son heard a whirring noise coming from it, we problem solved that one and worked out there was a problem with the thermo fans, have had the battery out, and now after going through the code sequence, the upper rpm light is constantly flashing and will not stop? Any ideas as to why or is this just some sort of security system? Thanks, PUNKEE.

Are you sure it is the fan? see following thread re fuel pump http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/sh...ght=Fuel+relay
Old 22-Jun-2006, 06:37

Hi, thanks for everyone responding.
The light finall ywent off by itself after 3 days!!!
Must have been having a very long dream...haha
Old 22-Jun-2006, 08:44
Mille

Mood: Bring the noise!
Quote:
Hi, thanks for everyone responding.
The light finall ywent off by itself after 3 days!!!
Must have been having a very long dream...haha

That's completely normal mate. The light will flash for two - three days after the bike has been started. Evidently it turns itself off after that period to conserve the battery.

There are a few dicky wiring issues with the 749 / 999 series BUT it's only minor stuff. I had the front brake light switch play up the other day. Solved by removing the wires in the bullet connectors and re-connecting. Problem solved.

Once again mate where are you based?
Old 22-Jun-2006, 20:18
500SD

Mood: a ducati is for life not just for christmas
yes mine flashes as well ,nothing to worry about ,mines a apple juice
Old 22-Jun-2006, 22:19
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwells
There are a few dicky wiring issues with the 749 / 999 series BUT it's only minor stuff. I had the front brake light switch play up the other day. Solved by removing the wires in the bullet connectors and re-connecting. Problem solved.

Mine did that during Raid the Lakes this year - front brake didn't operate the brake light. Henners, who was following me, thought I was a track god who doesn't ever touch his brakes!

I think you posted before about re-connecting the bullet connectors cos I remembered reading about it and lo and behold, it worked. If it was you, sb, many thanks!