888 at Last !!!

Thanks for the report.
Congrats and enjoy
Old 24-Dec-2006, 19:02
Big Twin
Bikes: 998S Chili trackbike,749R (corse kit), 748SPS

Mood: Flange - it's a state of mind....
Great bike & writeup - agree re swingarm

Well I'm still confident my wifes taken the hint (picture of 1098s stuck to the fridge door)

However, just checked under the tree & it's too big for a set of keys, too soft for the owners handbooks - Oh b******s I think it's a jumper!

Maybe next year........
Old 25-Dec-2006, 06:03
500SD
Bikes: ST4S

did you see that nice big fat torque curve on the Motorapido dyno comparison. THat is mugnificent! Must be really a gas to punch out of corners with this thing!
Enjoy!!
Old 25-Dec-2006, 09:53
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
All sounds awesome .... enjoy.

Sounds good enough to make me consider swapping my 749r for a 1098s at some point in 2007
Old 27-Dec-2006, 19:13
Mille

Enjoyed the write-up - hope you'll continue to enjoy the bike as much. Looking forward to hearing about the more mundane aspects of it - reliability, finish, etc. Having read some of the mag reports (Bike, PB), they agree what a fantastic ride it is, and looks beautiful, but to me, from the photos it does look a little Japanese - what do you guys who've seen it think ? After 3 years or so, I'm just coming round to appreciating the truly unique lines of the 999, and the 1098 does seem a little like back-peddling, but I suppose if it had come out after the 998 it would have been seen as a natural evolution. Ducati can't win I suppose ! But I have no doubt that if it goes half as well as it looks, it will sell loads.

I pity the poor 999 owners who are trying to sell or trade in their bike now - but I reckon it could be a wise move to snap up a mint 999r or FILA rep now or in a couple of months. In 10 years, it will be seen as a classic, adventurous, unqiue design - I think I'm going to get saving for a 749R now, and snap up a bargain when all the money is after a 1098.

Anyone got a 1098S yet ?

Matthew
Old 27-Dec-2006, 19:23
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
"Anyone got a 1098S yet ?"

I think you'll find that Gossa's IS an 'S' mate-don't think any standard bikes have come through yet.

John

Growing old-disgracefully!
Old 28-Dec-2006, 00:49
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Bastid, as in jammy bastid in the nicest possible sense
Old 28-Dec-2006, 22:32
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucatiRoss
Enjoyed the write-up - hope you'll continue to enjoy the bike as much. Looking forward to hearing about the more mundane aspects of it - reliability, finish, etc. Having read some of the mag reports (Bike, PB), they agree what a fantastic ride it is, and looks beautiful, but to me, from the photos it does look a little Japanese - what do you guys who've seen it think ? After 3 years or so, I'm just coming round to appreciating the truly unique lines of the 999, and the 1098 does seem a little like back-peddling, but I suppose if it had come out after the 998 it would have been seen as a natural evolution. Ducati can't win I suppose ! But I have no doubt that if it goes half as well as it looks, it will sell loads.

I pity the poor 999 owners who are trying to sell or trade in their bike now - but I reckon it could be a wise move to snap up a mint 999r or FILA rep now or in a couple of months. In 10 years, it will be seen as a classic, adventurous, unqiue design - I think I'm going to get saving for a 749R now, and snap up a bargain when all the money is after a 1098.

Anyone got a 1098S yet ?

Matthew
Yes, mine is an S as no standard models will ship until next year. I agree that the looks are a little japanese but that's mainly the headlights and i'm warming to them already.

I think Ducati gone forwards by going backwards. The perfect bike for me would be the 1098, with the same new sleeker screen and nose but keeping the twin vertical lights of the 999. I'd like the swingarm in black and I would have also likes to see them retain a box style exhaust rather thanthe twin cans BUT MUCH sleeker than the 999 unit (maybe like the 999 WSB Akropovic).

However seeing as how they didn't consult me on what I wanted in my next bike, I'm very happy with what they've done!

As for the 999 owners, I just sold my 05 999s with £6K on the clock for £10K, about 30% less than the price I paid so I think that's a pretty good return? The older 999's dont fetch that much (grey frames/wheels) but the later ones seem to be doing OK for now. I think they'll hold OK and I am readying myself for a tirade of abuse by saying that I think they'll be as desirable as the 916's in future years as people realise how innovative they were.
Old 30-Dec-2006, 09:22
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossa
I think Ducati gone forwards by going backwards. The perfect bike for me would be the 1098, with the same new sleeker screen and nose but keeping the twin vertical lights of the 999. I'd like the swingarm in black and I would have also likes to see them retain a box style exhaust rather thanthe twin cans BUT MUCH sleeker than the 999 unit (maybe like the 999 WSB Akropovic).

However seeing as how they didn't consult me on what I wanted in my next bike, I'm very happy with what they've done!

As for the 999 owners, I just sold my 05 999s with £6K on the clock for £10K, about 30% less than the price I paid so I think that's a pretty good return? The older 999's dont fetch that much (grey frames/wheels) but the later ones seem to be doing OK for now. I think they'll hold OK and I am readying myself for a tirade of abuse by saying that I think they'll be as desirable as the 916's in future years as people realise how innovative they were.
Very interesting comments there gossa.
Old 30-Dec-2006, 11:36
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossa
.................. I am readying myself for a tirade of abuse by saying that I think they'll be as desirable as the 916's in future years as people realise how innovative they were.

The Reliant Robin was innovative too!!!