Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 21-Apr-2006, 09:49
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: 900,900,851,750,750,750, 600,600,450,350,350,250
851SP Tank question

Should there be a rubber seal between the (alloy) tank and the big circular filler assembly ?
(similar to old SS tank)
Old 21-Apr-2006, 12:12
500SD

Mood: need a bike...
yes there should be a seal there.
cheers

Neil
Old 23-Apr-2006, 20:25

Possibly

Not wishing to contradict Neil, it depends. There was a transition period around '91 where the factory moved from the aircraft style filler and the hinged lockable job. The only seal on these was a green o-ring which never did a complete job, and needs gunking up with lots of sealant to prevent seeping.

On mine, I tried fitting the additional rubber ring ring 'twixt cap and tank and it just would not work. I think that later cap assemblies were modified to allow the black seal as well as the o-ring.

charles
Old 24-Apr-2006, 03:33
Montjuic

Mood: Just Ducky
Quote:
Originally posted by CL955
Not wishing to contradict Neil, it depends. There was a transition period around '91 where the factory moved from the aircraft style filler and the hinged lockable job. The only seal on these was a green o-ring which never did a complete job, and needs gunking up with lots of sealant to prevent seeping.

On mine, I tried fitting the additional rubber ring ring 'twixt cap and tank and it just would not work. I think that later cap assemblies were modified to allow the black seal as well as the o-ring.

charles

My 1990 851 w/above mentioned aircraft style cap has the rubber seal around the outter edge of the assembly. Its also on the microfiche I have.

Charles, I believe yours is missing.