Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 04-Nov-2005, 01:02
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
SP4 has the same engine as SPS with the exception of the exhaust cam.

John
Old 06-Nov-2005, 15:19
Mille

Mood: He's not happy {:o( He's back at sea!
Quote:
Originally posted by Monty
SP4 has the same engine as SPS with the exception of the exhaust cam.

John

Sorry mate, no it doesn't. Internal engine detail defferences are too many to mention on here, lightweight Penkl rods for a start. The difference between the SPS engine and the pukka CORSA was that the SPS engine was detuned by fitting a 91 spec CORSA zorst cam and a different airbox.

There were a few so called SPS's knocking about very early on that were SP4'z that were tarted up by addition of some hotter cams, but they were definately NOT true SPS/SP4S's.

The SP5 had the same engine as the SPS supposedly. Funny how the SP5 made about 10 horse less though.

Ains.
Old 06-Nov-2005, 17:39
500SD

Hi guys

I'm always fascinated by the amount of so-called factual information (or misinformation??) we 888 owners bandy about as 'gospel'. Maybe it's because the Ducati factory - in the early 90's - gave so little away? Anyway, here's my two-pennorth, culled from certain worthy publications (for what it's worth!)...

In order to address reliability issues concerning the con-rods used on Ducati's 888 race bikes, Austrian made Pankl steel rods were fitted to all the early street 851's, and to 888SP's from the SP2 onward. These were stronger rods, and weighed approx. 150g less than those used previously.

Common wisdom suggests that these 'lightweight' rods weren't used in later (lower revving) 888's - but this photo (of a standard 1993-94 888 Strada crank) would seem to prove otherwise.

(Titanium rods weren't used until they were fitted to the later 916SPS).

So, there we have it. Just a little more misinformation..!

Steve
Old 07-Nov-2005, 12:39
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Hmmm....When I've got my '93 Strada singing up to the red line it would be nice and reassuring to think that it had Pankl rods to minimise the chances of throwing a rod or kissing a valve.

But isn't that photo from Moto-one performance showing "the Pankl rods that Strada's are not supposed to have"? So it could be that the engine was upgraded at some prior point in it's life, or another explanation....

Pankl rods weren't supposed to be standard Strada spec equipment, but we all know that the factory cash flow problems of this era often caused fitment of whatever was in the parts bin. Could it be that when Ducati hadn't paid the conrod bill from their 'standard' supplier they raided the SP parts bin for a week or two to keep production flowing

Without pulling my motor apart to check, I'm going to assume ordinary conrods and try and stay off the rev limiter
Old 07-Nov-2005, 15:58
Mille

3 pix of the difference in std and leightweight rods
No# 1
Old 07-Nov-2005, 16:00
Mille

No#2
Old 07-Nov-2005, 16:02
Mille

No#3

All yours guys.

Ains.
Old 08-Nov-2005, 00:39
Mille

Which are the ones with the hole drilled up the centre so that the little end gets pressure feed from the big end? Stops the infamous little end seizure

Douglas
Old 08-Nov-2005, 07:23
Mille

Mood: sensational!!
i have a 93 888 strada that i bought completely stock, except for staintune slip on's 6 years ago. i know the history of the bike from new and am the 3rd owner. i can say with confidence that until i fitted high comp pistons the heads and barrels have not been off, i can also report that my strada also has pankl steel rods, factory fitted. now i can't speak for anyone elses bike as i am fully aware it is "supposed" to have the std macchi type rods, but i thought i'd add my 2pence.
Old 21-Nov-2005, 02:21
Mille

Mood: I AM looking forward to racing..
Anyone on here win this? 5 grand seems like a good buy.