Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 02-Feb-2005, 16:19
Bevel Head

Mood: Grumpy 'Old' Man!
MOT and possible issues...

Hi Everyone,

I took my 900FE to have its MOT last week at Bob Hills in Hertford...

The bike passed, but they (Bob) says that my Rear shock is leaking and it barely passed the MOT, also that my rear wheel bairing is off, but it too passed on the MOT...

They said they could either replace the Shock for me or send me on to someone that could fix it for me....and that they would do the Baering for me as well...

Questions;

Can the shock be repaired (I am of the opinion that it can...but what do I look for in leaking before it take it off and apart...)?

Do any other Ducati bike's rear shocks fit the 900ssFE model, such as the 916, 748 or 900SSie?

How can I tell if bairings are a bit off on the back wheel?

And where can I get a new set of bairing for the wheel at a reasonable cost?

Or should I not believe a word said by Bob Hills since the bike passed its MOT?

Thank you in advance...

And please forgive my some what naive questions and spelling errors...

[Edited on 2-2-2005 by migsangel]

[Edited on 2-2-2005 by migsangel]
Old 02-Feb-2005, 16:31
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
You can get shocks rebuilt, had both the rear and forks done on my 996 by KAIS Ohlins, although they were Showa, the whole thing cost me about £200 two years ago, so for what you need should be cheaper.

Can really comment on the bearing, as they're usually sealed units that you just replace, if you get the part number off the bearing you might be able to source one yourself if you're prepared to fit it.

As you have said it has passed it's MOT, but these are two critical parts of your bike, and if one was to fail completely you'd know about it one way or the other, cheaper to replace the parts than fix your broken limbs....
Old 02-Feb-2005, 16:32
GTL

Shock can be repaired - see this thread:

http://217.199.188.40/xmb/viewthread.php?tid=15625

All the ss shocks should fit your bike. The later 900ss inj have the advantage of giving a higher ride height. They come up on ebay reasonably frequently. Monsters and 916/748 don't fit.

Put the bike on a rear stand and see if there's any side-to-side movement on the rear wheel. You should be able to get new bearings or at least order from any Ducati Dealer for around £10-£15.

Bob Hills may just be a decent dealer trying to give you a bit of warning about problems to come. Or not!

Hope this helps.
Old 02-Feb-2005, 17:58
Bevel Head

Mood: Grumpy 'Old' Man!
Thank you...
I think Bob is a decent dealer, in my mind...and I don't have the experince to know to know otherwise...therefore I figured I should ask you folks for some advice...
And you have helped marvelously...
Old 03-Feb-2005, 11:02
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

I had the Showa rear shock on my SS rebuilt and a new bottom bush fitted for about £75 from UK Suspension in Bradford - they advertise in the back of MCN.

To clarify the side to side movement if the bearings are worn. With the bike on the stand, grip the wheel with one hand at the top and the other hand at the bottom then try rocking the wheel. Any play will be immediately apparent. Expect a thou or 2 but any more than a mm and the bearings are shot.
Bearings can be got from a local bearing stockist (see your Yellow Pages) if you know the number on the bearing. They should only cost about £20 or so for all 3 (including the one in the sprocket carrier)