Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-Sep-2004, 18:25

bike values: 900FE

chaps - I tried to sell my 900FE on ebay recently - reserved at £3k, Buy-it-now price of £3.5k. Best offer was £2800.

It's a 2000 (X) registered bike in nice condition with full history and under 6000 miles. Seemed cheap to me. Am I out of touch ?

I'll probably stick it on MCN. If anyone could guide me as to a sensible price, I'd appreciate it.

Kind regards
Lucien
Old 24-Sep-2004, 22:19
Mille

Why are you selling Luke? have you any pics?puzzled
Are there any extra's etc?puzzled:

Good Luck!:::
Old 24-Sep-2004, 22:25
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Hi Lucien,

I bought my '96 SL (6,000 miles) in May this year for £2,950 with two paddock stands. May's probably the most expensive time of the year to buy so I reckon it'd be worth about £2,700 now.

The other issue is that, as nice as the FE is, it doesn't seem in so much demand. I looked at 3 in spring and only one of them sold while I was looking. They were all sub £3k.

Having said all that I'd stick with about £2,900 as it'll sell when the right person comes along.

Good luck.

Ali
Old 25-Sep-2004, 11:03
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
It's funny that your FE was registered in 2000. The dealer must have had it sitting in his showroom for nearly 3 years before managing to sell it, as FEs came out in '97-98.

Unfortunately what that shows is late model slab sided SS's didn't sell that well especially when the newly designed updated Terblanche SS appeared.

The problem you're gonna find at the top end of the market is unless you get a buyer like Ali who was specifically looking for a slab sided SS people with 3 grand plus in their pocket can get an updated bike. Your ugly old fashioned early nineties machine simply looks dated in comparison. It's a shame, especially if you're selling. It'll no doubt sell eventually but you may well have to lower your expectations and wait a while.

The other alternative, in an ideal world, would be to keep hold of it for another ten years and then watch it start to appreciate in value. Unlike the later one it's a true classic and will soon come to be recognised as such....

Darren
Old 25-Sep-2004, 11:54
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Quote:
Originally posted by FiscusFish
"Your ugly old fashioned early nineties machine simply looks dated in comparison."
Darren

A bit harsh Darren but, I agree with what you are trying to say!

Frank
Old 25-Sep-2004, 12:03
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
P'raps I should have put it in quotes. Since I own one of those "Ugly old fashioned" bikes and will never get rid of it you could probably guess the comments don't reflect my true feelings.

Darren
Old 25-Sep-2004, 12:08
GTL

Time of year probably is biggest drawback, wait till spring if you can afford it. I think air-cooled Dukes old and new are a bit of a drag on the market generally; I only got £2600 for 'T' 900ss in pretty good nick last September.

If you want a free advertising outlet try http://www.adtrader.co.uk/
Can't say much about their effectiveness but they have a high paper circulation plus the website.

I read somewhere that good SS/SL/FE's are beginning to hold their value in the States, though they are notoriously obsessed with 'investment value' of their bikes.
Old 25-Sep-2004, 14:36
Big Twin

Well if there's tidy SS/SL's going for that sort of money, my long-term idea to get one when I eventually get rid of the 748 starts to sound like a plan!
I'd been think of an injected one, but if bikes like ali's are available...
Old 26-Sep-2004, 00:23
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Awww shucks, she's gone all embarrased! I can see her out the window, gone bright red she 'as....

Go on, get an air-cooled. You know it makes sense.

Ali
Old 26-Sep-2004, 08:37
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Well impressed with your knee down piccy Ali !!!

Maybe next year

Frank