Ducati Sporting Club UK
Technical - Help or Info - NON Motorcycle
PC's, Internet etc. Cars, or how to fix that leaky radiator - in here please!

Old 10-May-2005, 14:44
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Numpty PC Question ???

Apparently, my broadband connection was upgraded to 2Mb yesterday. The thing is, it doesn't seem any faster loading web pages or downloading. How can I tell if it has been done?

Before I went wireless I could just hover the mouse over the network icon on the toolbar and it would tell me the connection speed, now it just tells me that the connection speed is 11Mbps, which of course is connection speed between the wireless router and the PC.
Old 10-May-2005, 14:45
500SD

Mood: On top of the world
Mine apparently got bumped up from 512k to 2.2M recently - can't say it seems any faster tho.
Old 10-May-2005, 14:46
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Jools, try adslguide.org there's a line speed test one there somewhere. To get a true reading I'd reboot your PC first and ensure no n/w processes other than the minimum are being used.
Old 10-May-2005, 14:47
Big Twin

Mood: This is a carbon free zone!
Jools,if I hover over my icon it also says 1.1mps,not 11mps.Are you sure they`ve upgraded you?
Old 10-May-2005, 14:50
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Quote:
Originally posted by sparkin
Jools,if I hover over my icon it also says 1.1mps,not 11mps.Are you sure they`ve upgraded you?

That's the internal n/work speed between w/lan card and router, not router to BB
Old 10-May-2005, 14:59
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
The adslguide speedtest that Freak is referring to is here

It's uses a java applet so you may need to update that to run the test. It's a reasonable guide for your speed but it might not be quite what you expect as there are overheads that eat bandwidth.

For example, my 1MB connection should in theory be 1024 kilobits/second. When in reality a good result is more like 960 kilobits/second.

For accurate results I would stop all your browser windows, except the test window obviously, and all other apps from running. Especially p2p software packages like Kazaa etc! Oh and your firewall will slow things down, especially if it supports SPI.

Also, if your results are poor - run your anti-Spyware software before you ring your ISP. These things eat your bandwidth. If you don't have any try LavaSoft Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy. I use both and update them regularly.

Hope this helps ...
Old 10-May-2005, 16:58
Bevel Head

Jools

I have just been upgraded from 300k to 1Mb by NTL. If you are on NTL then you have a cable service rather than ADSL. You may need to re-boot your cable modem for the changes to take effect.
Old 10-May-2005, 17:05
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Thanks for all the help guys.

Tried the ADSL site (I am on ADSL Andyl, not cable) but I can't run it on my works laptop because it has Java but it's behind a VPN firewall.

Can't run it on my other PC's because I can disable my own firewall, but they haven't got Java yet.

I'll load Java onto my old PC when I've got a moment and give it another whizz
Old 10-May-2005, 17:48
888 at Last !!!

As with dialup, adsl speed is also affected by the time of day and the area you live in. You share the ADSL connection with upto 50 other people and depending on how many other people are connected on at that time can dramatically affect your download/upload speed. 2Mb will be the max you can get and that will vary depending on how many others in your "group" are online also.

People in larger cities will notice this far more than those out-a-town.