Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-May-2009, 16:53
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
900ss - Carbed vs IE Frame Weights

I seem to recall someone on here (Paul Payne?) saying that the 900ss carbed frame was lighter than the 900ss injected frame.

Can anyone confirm this? And confirm what the actual weight difference is?

What accounts for the weight difference? Is the carbed frame as strong as the injected frame?

Following on from that, how interchangeable are the two? Will an injected engine, swingarm and forks fit comfortably into a carbed frame?
Old 27-May-2009, 19:40
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
I don't have an IE frame to weigh, but the carbed ones are all around the 10kg mark, which is lighter than a monster 620 one.

I'd already cut the diagonal rail between the carbs on my first frame to fit flatslides back in 2005, but the current one still has it in. Airbox, forks, yokes and engine are all IE (620 of course.....ahem) and I've discovered that the 750 and 900 parts are the same size! Don't know about 800 and 1000 but reckon they will all go as the frame is mainly the same as the 620/750/900.

Any post-92 swingarm should fit at the engine end and as only one Ohlins is listed for the entire range from 400-1000 I can't see a problem.

HTH

Paul

15th year in DD #68 and getting slower by the year

1199, SS800 & 620SSie DD racer
Old 28-May-2009, 01:46
Big Twin

Thanks Paul.
Old 28-May-2009, 05:55
GTL
Bikes: SS 1000ds

Mood: crashed
Phill, it is possible to fit a 1000ds engine in a pre '98 SS frame. Look here: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=55069

I don't know what is the weight difference between the two frames though.

Many people racing SSs cut the rear part of the frame and install subframes similar to the SBK ones. They are lighter and in case of a (big) crash, you could get away by just replacing the subframe only. Are you allowed to do that on your race bike?
Old 28-May-2009, 08:38
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGAKATS
Many people racing SSs cut the rear part of the frame and install subframes similar to the SBK ones. They are lighter and in case of a (big) crash, you could get away by just replacing the subframe only. Are you allowed to do that on your race bike?

As far as I can see, according to the technical regulations overview published here - http://hottrax-motorsport.co.uk/2009%20HMRC%20TECHNICAL%20REGULATIONS%20OVERVIEW%2 02009-2.pdf - modifications to the frame and subframe are allowed in the Pro-Superbike class. This could be a good, cheapish way to save some weight for sure.