Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-Dec-2011, 20:19
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 996 1 & only Class C DD Champion and KTM LC8 950 SMR

Mood: It's not big, Its not funny, It's necessary
Well thats it then I'm now officialy at stage one then Kev, managed to round it off on Sat, jes its well stuck in there. Next job put the tank back on and ride it down to Pro Bike and get them to get that damm bolt loose.

Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Nope Neil not a left hand thread, not even a nut to worry about
A 10mm Bolt passes through the swingarm casting through the shock eye and threads into the swingarm on the other side.

Craig it pretty much turned out to be a two man job, what should be a fairly simple job is made a lot harder by Ducatis use of nickle plated Steel bolts and fitting them into alloy without the use of any anti-seize compound.

Kev P came around with some more 8mm Hex keys which we then managed to trash including the Snap-on one

In the end we got it out with me heating the swingarm with the heat gun adjacent to the thread area and Kev attacking it from the other side with the Windy gun
Once the bolt was removed there was no sign of either thread-lock or Anti-Seize compound. So the problem was caused by corrosion, needles to say when I refitted the bolt after cleaning it with scotch-brite I gave it a liberal coating of copper slip

So the answer to the original question is

Six 8mm Hex Keys required
Windy Gun required
10 Bar Compressor required
Heat Gun required
Two people required
And how ever long it takes
Old 19-Dec-2011, 20:27
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
They'll have fun then if its rounded off,
They will probably end up drilling the head off it and try punching it out the other side.
Be better if they drill it from the thread side as thats into a steel insert and less chance of enlarging the hole in the Alloy swingarm

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 03-Jan-2012, 18:06
Mille

Mood: Done with Diesels
You don't need 10 bar for your impact wrench. They work on volume of air not air pressure. All you do is **** the wrench quicker if you use it above 90psi (6 bar).
Old 03-Jan-2012, 21:32
Mille
Bikes: M620ie, DD583R #30

I like the link to a cartoon of yourself skids?.. Red bike , yellow leathers, mid wheelie, sticking 2 up to the man!

Good post Kev, I hate ones that finish without a solution

pete

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power". Abraham Lincoln ...53 horse power should do it.
Old 04-Jan-2012, 00:57
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wozzap
You don't need 10 bar for your impact wrench. They work on volume of air not air pressure. All you do is **** the wrench quicker if you use it above 90psi (6 bar).

As I didn't want to go and spend the best part of £600 on a new compressor with a higher volume than the 30CFM and 270 Litre tank one I have in the garage and upping the pressure was possible then thats what i opted for and it did the trick and got the bolt out.
A New Impact wrench would be a lot cheaper to replace than buying a new compressor but I don't need to as the Impact Gun is still working fine

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook