Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Sep-2005, 08:23
Montjuic

Clutch installation qustion

Hi all. New to this great forum - wish I had found it before I bought my 748R!
Anyway love the bike, but need advice about reinstalling the clutch plates - they seem quite worn (5000 miles on bike) - I know people say you can juggle them around and also file them down but can I flip them over so that the unused edge of the teeth is in the direction if the wear?

Any advice appreciated!
Old 15-Sep-2005, 10:45
Mille
Bikes: ST4S

Mood: Finally gotten over the 748R getting stolen thing. Actually, no i haven't !
I Have an 02 748R as well and i have turned and jiggled the order on mine on more than 1 occasion. Depends how worn they are though, as my plates were as bashed on the trailing edge as the leading edge.
I was told the clutch had had it at the 6k service ( actually 5200 miles) and the 12k miles ( done at 9200) and it still worked perfectly well in fact. Just changed it at 11200 miles for a 48 tooth job, excellent.
Old 15-Sep-2005, 11:33
Montjuic

Clutch

Thanks for the reply. I have just reinstalled it in the order the plates came out but am unsure whther they were in the right order in the first place - I have a workshop manual for the range but not the R - and they seem to have a different order - can anyone advise the correct order?
Ta!
Old 15-Sep-2005, 11:42
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Think the first plate in will be a friction, and then a steel, and so on, dunno if you have any dished steel plates in there, from memory you need around 4mm from the final plate to the basket, might be different on the 748R slipper though...

Nelly?
Old 15-Sep-2005, 13:36
Ducati Corse

Two plain plates followed by a friction plate then alternate plain/friction finishing with a plain steel plate. If you have a friction plate last it wont work!
Old 15-Sep-2005, 15:00
Montjuic

Clutch

Thanks for the replies again...it looks like when I took them out it was friction plate in first followed by steel then friction then steel etc finished by two steel...which means I am missing a steel plate!?

[Edited on 15-9-2005 by richduc]

Old 15-Sep-2005, 16:28
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally posted by rockhopper
Two plain plates followed by a friction plate then alternate plain/friction finishing with a plain steel plate. If you have a friction plate last it wont work!

Not on a 748R
as it has a slipper clutch as standard, as JPM says friction plate first and get the end gap right, should have one dished plate as standard but nothing to stop you adding another
Old 15-Sep-2005, 16:49
Ducati Corse

True Kev, missed the bit about it being an R.
Old 15-Sep-2005, 17:03
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
As JPM said. There's probably a dished plate in there to. It'll be 1.5mm thick, with a dot punch mark just below the notch on the periphery of the disc.
You can't turn this plate around. It should go in after the first or second friction plate with the dot facing you.
Wear limit on the friction plates is 2.7mm. With the pack installed, you should have about 4mm of drum showing, as JPM said
Any more then you can build the pack thickness out using thicker plain plates.
TBH if it's a lot more then the clutch is ready for a change.
Either a stock set or a performance set............... even a 48T type
Old 15-Sep-2005, 17:36
Montjuic

clutch

4mm from basket or drum? - basket is the one where the teeth of the friction plates locate into and the drum is the one in the centre which rotates?? - depending on which one I either need new plates or one less steel plate than was in there! Also while I'm at it the pressure plate where the springs locate into there seems to be gaps around the casing at the circumference of each hole - they look like wear but surely cant be??