Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Jan-2005, 16:51

New Owner - Advice please....

Hello.

I am seriously considering buying a 999. I have had v twins in the past (SP1, SP2, Mille RSV-R) but changed to a CBR600RR a year ago when trying to get a part for the Aprilia that was being replaced under warranty took over 3 months. I love the little CBR, great fun on the track, but am missing the V Twin thing and having considered all options the 999 appears the only one.

Before I place an order I thought it best to draw upon your knowledge and experiences so I don’t do the wrong thing. I have a couple of questions I would greatly appreciate your views on.

It was my intention to buy a 2005 999, but I have also been offered a new 2004 999S for virtually the same money (£250 more). I have ridden both, the power on both seemed similar but my impression was that the fuelling on the 2005 bike was slightly better. The 2005 bike felt slightly more solid and better built, and reliability is important to me as I tour and don’t want to be stranded at the top of the Alps on a single cylinder on a Bank Holiday Monday. However the fact the 2005 bike had 200 miles on it and the 2004 bike had 1800 miles on it maybe explains this. It was cold and wet so I couldn’t test the Ohlins-v-Showa difference. In your experience is the 2005 999 an improvement over the 2004 999S, or is the 2004 bike a better buy?

I do a couple of continental tours a year, about 1500-2000 miles in a week. I was intending to go for the Bip so I could strap a tail back on the back, but I don’t take a pillon. The plan was to get the single seat tail unit for the Bip and fit that when I am not touring but the more I think about it the spring on the Bip is probably heavier than on the Mono and for solo riding the Mono would be better. The alternative might be to get the Mono and fit a ventura kit, only fitting the rails when I am on tour so I don’t spoil the looks/Lines at other times. Have any of your had this dilemma, and which option works out best?

And finally, I live in Guildford, Surrey. The closest dealers are P&H in Crawley, DLS and Pro Twins. All equally inconvenient to get to, but I got the feeling that Pro Twins in Godstone are the most professional and would prep and look after the bike better than the others. (P&H also wound me up by making me hire the bike for a test ride rather than giving me a demo..never had that before, and up to that point I was going to use P&H). What’s the view on whom is the best out of the three, views on pros and cons from your experience would be welcome.

I would really appreciate your comments and advice. I am about to sign on the dotted line but want to make sure I am not about to do the wrong thing, order the wrong model or use the wrong dealer.

Thanks…Gareth
Old 27-Jan-2005, 16:59
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
1. The usual thing with Ducati seems to be that last years R will become the following years S, and so on, so a 2004 S should be the same spec near as damn it to a 2005 base model. Plus you'd get the latest fairing, and a new swing arm (correct me if I am wrong) and probably some slight improvements over the older model

2. No point in having the Bp if you're not going to use it, the mono will be set up more for the single rider, softer spring etc, unless your luggage weighs as much as the average person I'd be tempted to stick with the mono, but it might be worth investigating what the maximum weight the mono can carry if you don't pack light!

3. I can't comment on this as I am up nurf... but hello and welcome
Old 27-Jan-2005, 17:01
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Gareth, I wold get the 04 S. Someone has already taken the first years depreciation hit for you and you get Ohlins - thats worth it.

As for luggage dilemma's I haven't had that issue as I haven't toured on my 996 but I have both a single and dual seat. I tend to wear a backpack when commuting anyway.

That hiring sounds dodgy to me, I would be a tad p!ssed if I had to do the same thing. Ducati's are lumbered with the reliability issues of old which is a bit of a stigma thing these days. I wouldn't worry about it unduly. they fare no worse than a Jap bike with some bikes having problems and the majority not to be honest. Just get it to a good dealer/independant and get it sorted out properly and then you'll have nothing to fear.

Good luck with your purchase and welcome to the club. There are regular Surrey rideouts and we do track days etc if your into that sort of thing, even have our own race series for those members that are slightly touched (ahem).

Old 27-Jan-2005, 17:04
GTL

Mood: going for a ride...
I have the ventura rack for my 749R (mono) it's a great piece of kit and takes less than half an hour to fit including the rails (they bolt onto the main frame outboard of the original subframe using spacers and longer bolts)

Given the choice between a 2004 999S or a 2005 999 I think I would go for a 2005 , or better still , save up and get a 2005 999S
Old 27-Jan-2005, 17:05
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
someone may well correct me if i'm wrong but i think the 2004 's' engine is the same as the standard 2005 model.

from a looks point of view and riding point of view would definitely get the mono.

if you plan to do some trackdays too the ohlins will be an advantage.

dont have any dealings with any of the dealers, but would certainly not give my business to anyone thats makes me hire a demo!

speak to the dealers and see who will give you the best deal. simple. after that with regard to servicing there are plenty of recommendations on this board but from my personal experience i would rather travel 200 miles and take it to an expert than risk it with some clown locally.

either way hope you get it soon and enjoy.

[Edited on 27-1-2005 by dickieducati]
Old 27-Jan-2005, 17:07
GTL

Mood: going for a ride...
After seeing Freak's post about weight on the mono , unlike on a 916 where the ventura rack mounts off the subframe , on a 749/999 mono the ventura rails are mounted directly off the main frame lugs so weight is not an issue , no load is carried by the original subframe at all
Old 27-Jan-2005, 17:12
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
In answer to Q3 gareth, try W M Snell at Alton - just a quick blatt down the A31 for you, about 20 mins or so.

Good old fashioned courtesy - and mechs that know their job.

C

ps: welcome to the asylum!
Old 27-Jan-2005, 17:15
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
Welcome, and I'll take your questions in reverse order...

3) Can't help you I'm afraid as I'm in Manchester.

2) It depends on your weight I guess. Most Ducatis are set up for an average weight rider - around 12 to 13 stone. If you're heavier than this, the heavier spring may actually be better for you. I test rode a 749S BP before buying my 749S mono, and to be honest I couldn't tell the difference and I'm 13 stone. All the suspension is fully adjustable, so you could soften the damping a touch if you find it a bit hard. I'd go with whichever is most convenient or preferable for your luggage or you.

1) I bought a 749S for the Showa suspension over the base model's Boge shock, and I find it superb. The Ohlins is probably more finely adjustable, but the standard settings on my Showas are perfect for me. Unless you're a big track day addict and want the adjustability, the Showas will be just fine. If you preferred the '05 bike, then go with that. They'll both depreciate at a similar rate, but maybe the full Ohlins of the 'S' will hold a higher value in a year or two. Build quality will vary from bike to bike as they're hand built, so if you're ordering new there's no guarantee you won't get a Friday special. However, Ducati build quality is now very good. I had an RSV previously, and my 749S is at least as good as quality wise and much better handling wise!

Go with the one your heart says. You buy a Ducati with your heart, not your head.
Old 27-Jan-2005, 17:24
888 at Last !!!

Gareth.
If you go for the 999bp, i have the ventura L brackets to fit a 749/999bp. Which you can have cheap. only used once last year, on my 749.
Not knocking the 03/04 shape. But i have already found on my 999 the handling on the 05 much better then the 03 749 i had and iam still running the new bike in.

Clint.
Old 27-Jan-2005, 17:39

Thanks all for the responses...this is just the sort of information I was looking for and it is very helpful. Please keep them coming.

From what I have read so far it will be a 2005 999 Mono, good news that the Ventura does not attach to the subframe.

I have not heard of W M Snell, are they are solus Ducati dealer or have an official Ducati franchise? Can't find them on the Ducati UK web site, but I do like the idea of a more local dealer who offers good old fashioned courtesy. I will try and check them out.

Cheers, and thanks for the help... Gareth