Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 25-Mar-2004, 22:11
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Smiley and waiting for the sunshine
OH MY GOD! I just read my reply!
It did touch a nerve didn't it!
Apology...Just back from parents evening and not had a glass of wine yet!
Me thinks i need a chill pill!
Soz again...Hard and difficult day!
Lisax
Old 25-Mar-2004, 22:14
Mille

Mood: Abbia Divertimento---o0o---Cassaforte Di Soggiomo
If Only I had The Choice

Guys n Gals
Reading all the "posts" made me smile because here in Switzerland we do not have a choice. We cannot make the plate ourselves - neither can the garage/dealer. And you do not have a choice of selecting your own number or buying a so called "personal" registration.

It goes like this: the vehicle registration office (one in each of the 26 Kantones that make up the Swiss Federation) issues you with your number plate. A shinny reflective alu job inc hologram, the swiss flag and the flag of the Kantone. Then they send you a large bill for the said plate.

Now if you are silly enough to move from one Kantone to another then you have to surrender your old plate (you'll be charge a recycling fee) and buy your new one (yes the number will be different) so you wiull have to notify your insurance company who may well increase the premium depending on where you are now living (if your lucky they may and do reduce it).

Finally failure to do any of the above or modify the plate in any way will result in a very very heavy fine.

Postscript - you can hand in your plate if you take the bike off the road in winter and they'll give you a rebate (so will the insurance company) - but remember you will have to go and stand in-line for your new plate etc etc when the sun shines again and you want to get out on the bike. So most folk don't go for the rebate scheme.

So have fun with your plates - I cann't :
Old 26-Mar-2004, 10:59
Mille

I think the Swiss system is great and very easy to police. Should be adopted here. If you do not renew your insurance or pay your "road tax" the police are empowered to take your plates, therefore everyone on the road is completely legal.

When i lived there a few years ago you could also share plates between vehicles, so you did not have to pay twice, although there was a small premium for the facility.

When it comes to minor motoring offences I say play the Police at their own game. I have a black rat sticker on my bike and I have already been let off with a nod for a small plate........