Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 06-Apr-2005, 15:59
Mille

Mood: Meditating
Yes it starts to display at 40°C, but it does lag behind the water temerature gauge. When the water temperature is reading 80°C, the translogic unit is still displaying 55°C. However, once the mass of metal has heated-up, it reads very close (ie +or - 4°C)

Calibration on the road is quiet easy, as long as you have the original rev counter plugged in, and another bike to follow.
Old 06-Apr-2005, 17:17
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Why do have to calibrate the revs? Doesn't it just count ignition pulses based on the number of cylinders?

Also, if you want a better temperature pickup, take one of the small triangular covers off the side of one of the heads and drill it for the temp sensor. That's were the race bikes measure temperature at. It's very responsive as it measures directly the water temperature of the head. See items 11 or 21 below:

Old 06-Apr-2005, 21:20
Mille

It’s a bit strange really, I expected to pick-up the low tension ignition and then instruct the unit that it was a twin (or four) cylinder. But, there is no provision for that. Instead you have to work out at what revs you want the red lights to illuminate, then rev the engine to half of that value and press the programme button. Thus it calibrates the rev scale to read this value at half full-scale deflection.

I set mine to 10,000 rpm, since occasionally in the lower gears there is some time lag from hitting that value and changing gear, but it does mean that the rev scale is now 0 to 10,000rpm. In practice it works well with the quickshifter, good fast changes at a consistent rpm value using the very bright change lights.

The temp pick-up appears to be a simple thermocouple device; I may change the lead and set it up in a water channel or even to measure oil temperature at the pump as it appears to read in excess of 300°C.

As a slight aside, before calibrating the speed, it did ride the first few miles at between 430 and 525 mph!!
Old 06-Apr-2005, 22:35
Bevel Head

That's my problem allready removed original guages, and don't trust my mates to stick at 30mph. "Yes officer my speedo reads 30mph", "But the vascar shows 55mph" !!!!
Perhaps the next version of the dash will be able to choose what type of inputs and from where.
Old 06-Apr-2005, 22:51
Ducati Meccanica

Must admit, seems a bit braindead. Glad I waited, think I'll go for one of these:

Old 08-Apr-2005, 12:05
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
Quote:
Originally posted by Felix
Must admit, seems a bit braindead. Glad I waited, think I'll go for one of these:

Thats an impressive looking piece of kit felix, bet it cost a good bit more than the TL one tho!!

Good advice about the temp pick up, that's where I'll be fitting mine - if ever I get the time to fit it that is............
Old 13-Apr-2005, 13:56
Mille

Felix - You get what you pay for really, sure there is better kit available but TBH I'm not interested in downloading to PC, recording suspension travel or something that I need to consult the instruction book each time I want to use it or employ a mechanic to fit and set up.

The Translogic is simple to use, offers basic revs, speed, battery voltage, oil pressure and engine temp and combines an easy to use lap timer. I race the bike, if I crash and burn, the unit isonly £300 not £1500 to replace.

In use on the track the Translogic kit works great, big red lamps telling you when to change gear, and it all starts flashing if oil pressure fails or voltage drops below 11v. The lap timer records 100 laps, and it’s easy to replay the laps when you get back into the pits, and easy to reset the timer. Everything I want really.

UPDATE

Whele smashes Snetterton lap record using Translogic……………well that’s what I thought 54.062 seconds. BSB guys are lapping in 1:08.

After drinking the champagne I checked the lap timer against a stopwatch 54 seconds on Translogic = 1:14 on stopwatch. So its back to the factory for it to have the real time clock reprogrammed.

Quality control?????
Old 13-Apr-2005, 14:25
Bevel Head

Hi All, got my 996 back today from F W Developments in Garstang, Race dash calibrated and engine re-map all running well and a couple of more horses to boot
Old 13-Apr-2005, 19:12
Ducati Meccanica

Whele, certainly didn't mean to belittle your choice. I'm not going to buy either one, as I have one under development...