Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-Oct-2004, 00:19
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
dont worry if you ride it to much it wont look pretty
Old 18-Oct-2004, 00:21
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
But kev, you're in a different league to the likes of mortal me!
I find I can ride the 996 quicker than my blade, especially on the track. But that's not down to the speed of the bike, i'm sure it's just a confidence issue.

deej, you'll NEVER get fed up with the attention!!!!
Old 18-Oct-2004, 00:26
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
no i doubt i will, the attention is great, kids, boy racers, grandads, lady drivers ( 95%) now just look at you drooling, its got to be the bike coz it definatelty aint me

im feeling better a bit better now, think i was getting a little cross with myself and my hopes.

the ducati settles some old issues from years ago and i think thats some of the problem too, an old chapter has closed and a brand new 1 has begun and i wasnt overly impressed with the begginning but im sure the middle will be much better
Old 18-Oct-2004, 00:26
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Go above the 38T rear sprocket and you'll need a longer chain. You may get away with a 39T, but probably wouldn't notice any difference??
I've geared mine down to a 36T rear and ride the mid range. It'll still rev to the limiter in 5th though, and that's reset to 11500rpm

I ran a 42T rear and it hit the limiter in top at about 150mph or so. Too buzzy for me though, hence the lower gearing I now run.
For the turn in, the ride height is probably on the stock setting? Put two full turns of the tie rod into it and it'll turn on a sixpence.
Old 18-Oct-2004, 00:32
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
hi nelly

mmmm, confused. whats the stock setting for the tie rod.also the bike has a ohlins rear shock fitted and has been set up for harvey who weighs about a stone less than i do

what do i need to do to change the way the sidestand springs up when i move the bike, im not keen on that and would hate to drop the bike like the guy who bought my old bike has.
Old 18-Oct-2004, 00:33
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Nick I have my Blade as well and raced a 95 model one year and a 97 the following year, both were planted stable bikes with the later model a bit faster than the earlier one but like a Ducati they are a bit heavy compared to modern 600s and unlike the 748/916 they are very wide which meant I never feel as comfortable on them as I do my 916.

Lap times on the later Blade were about the same as on my 916 Strada but the Blade did have along with the 17" front wheel, Ohlins shock etc about 20bhp more and a full PFM brake setup.
Biggest advantage of my GSXR600 over the 748 is about 25 rear wheel horse power and about 20 Kilos less weight, the R6 has about the same weight advantage but only about 15 rwbhp moe than the 748 and about the same bhp as my 916.
Old 18-Oct-2004, 00:37
Ducati Meccanica

aah, that would expalin some of it then, i though the hp of the r6 was simialir to a 748, 15 hp and 20 kilos is a lot to make up especially on the track i'd imagine, must be why most of you now have japanese track bikes and ducati road bikes ????
Old 18-Oct-2004, 00:42
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Understand what you're saying kev. Maybe my (97) blade's just a bit big for me... it's pretty much bog standard, and both blade and 996 wind the dyno up to 116. But the honda's biggest confidence looser for me is that it turns in faster than I can think!!

As you know, I'm not the biggest bloke in the world so for me it seems, like you say, that the 996 just "fits" me a lot better.
Old 18-Oct-2004, 00:54
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Off the top of my head the stock tie rod lengthe is 241mm between rod eye centres?? Not sure. I'll check tomorrow.
Two turns is a "rule of thumb" I use. A lot of people measure their ride height and maintain that, even after adjusting the chain. That's fine to, but I find that the two turns is a good starting point.
The rear shock won't affect the ride height too much, although if it's set up for someone lighter than yourself, you'll be getting a bit more sag.

The sidestand can be cured by using the plate and nut off the later bikes with a switch in there. Do a search and you'll find the part numbers have been listed several times. These are available from your dealer for a fiver or so.
If you struggle to get them, let me know as I have some in stock.
Old 18-Oct-2004, 00:59
Big Twin

Can't remember what the ride height is set too off the top of my head, but it was set using the Ducati ride height tool, to the figure recomended by many on this board.

Personally, I wouldn't raise the ride height any more (its already quite a bit above standard). Keep it as it is for a while, don't forget it will take a while to get used to the change.

If after a few weeks you still feel its a bit slow to turn in, the change the steering head angle to the steeper setting. This makes a dramatic difference, and may give you the feeling you are after.