Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 30-Mar-2005, 23:40
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Or a Datsun 260Z with a 4.0L quad cam V8 stashed away with a twin-screw supercharger supplying the air

Inline 6 my ar$e!
Old 30-Mar-2005, 23:54
Big Twin

Been thinking about something else since this thread began......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...4200 569&rd=1

Purely for the straights of course

Driven cars with this type of "extra" and it's a right "giggle"

Old 31-Mar-2005, 00:02
MotoGP God

I bet!
Old 31-Mar-2005, 00:13
Big Twin

Can't see anything in the DD rules prohibiting NOS either......

Oh, how much fun would that be..........
Old 31-Mar-2005, 00:18
MotoGP God

I could use something like that!
Old 31-Mar-2005, 00:27
500SD

Mood: Double 9, Single 6.
On my good friday ride out I was with two friends on 600's an SRAD and a CBR, I left them both for dead on a straight bit. I know anyone can do straights and all that but it does go to show that dukes aren't as slow as all those il4 guys seem to think.
Don't follow the herd deej, that little duke will teach you so much more about riding than any mass produced ujm ever could! [/quote]

You have a point there.

I know that I have the 853 engine now so I suppose that I am cheating a bit but I always get the riders of the jap bikes looking surprised when you stay with them or blow them away. They seem to think that their jap rockets are the only bikes on the road that are gonna whoop some ass.

I know that before the duke I only had jap bikes and have nothing against them, they are great machines. If I had a bottomless pit of cash I would have more of them. But............... I think that it is the case of people reading to much bull in the bike mags and once you have a decent Ducati. You realise that having 100 odd horses and a decent chassis goes a long long way. Now, wheres that sps engine!!!!

DC.
Old 31-Mar-2005, 19:39
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
I've got the same base engine as you, but during the head rebuild had a set of SP cams, SP pistons, and vernier pulleys fitted, also had the cams dialled in, dyno setup etc, and it was pushing out 101 before it left the workshop. That should rise as thinks loosen up.

mr s i like your stylem, how much did that little lot cost and what difference did it make, mines going in for a service soon and may be nice little pre wedding treat to myself, would it be best to buy new or is used okay for these parts, i dont normally bother modifiying car/bike engines but this could add a little extra spice to sunday rideouts and for when i finally take her to a track
Old 31-Mar-2005, 23:44
Big Twin

I had the work done because I'd planned for a head rebuild, and was offered a deal on the cams & pistons.

The verniers were a bit more challenging, as it turns out STM have stopped making them to focus on slipper clutches, but got some from the US for £299 inc Vat.

The work was done at MotoRapido in Winchester, and was added into the cost of a 12K service and Top End upgrade so, you're looking at around £750 plus parts and vat for the basic fitting of the cams etc, then dialling the cams in takes a little longer so you're looking at a few hours labour there, and add on that a bunch of dyno runs for setup of the chip (I had 14 runs), so more labour there depending on how precise you want to be.

Used is fine for these parts, as long as it's a reliable source, bearing in mind cams can be scored by bad rockers, pistons can be in all sorts of a mess etc...

To be honest, I'd check with Harv to see if he's had the head rebuilt already, if he has then I wouldn't go to the expense for the sake of it. The only reason I did this is because a head rebuild was being done anyway (had to replace all the rockers too / thank christ for ebay and a set of low mileage heads.) so most of the labour was being absorbed by that. If you don't need a head rebuild, 853's about the same cost, and will give a similar power gain.

If you're thinking of this, you'd be looking at between £1.5-2K, although you end up with a bike that punts out more power and, is effectively an SPS in a bip frame.

Performance wise, I'm really pleased with it, last couple of weekends have seen me upsetting Blade and GSXR owners, especially when they double take the 748 logo's and I'm not a gifted rider, leaving a safety margin the size of yorkshire when on the road.

Next I'll be working on my skills, 3 TD's booked already this year, nad trying to juggle work dates for a return to CSS, although I'm trying to convince Wilf at MotoRapido to let me take his 853RS out. Just to see where to go next......Although he's got to rebuild the thing first.
Old 01-Apr-2005, 00:45
Big Twin

Sod the flat out speed its much more fun stuffing the jap crap in the twisty bits

If you want more fun go for the 996

If you happen to come into some money buy a 998

[Edited on 31-3-2005 by AGE996]
Old 01-Apr-2005, 18:56
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
as Mr S says, I was this close (cut to forefinger and thumb less than 2mm apart) from having an 853 kit fitted to my 748.

But....for £2.5k (cost of all the work) I got a mint 916sps with 126bhp and 77lb torque

I guess the difference is that I had a fairly standard E model, no ohlins or bling to speak of. If I had all that on there, chances are I may have made a different decsion....but I glad I didnt, because it is no less fun (more so because of the awsome accelaration) and its lost almost no money from what I paid a year ago.

If you can afford to chuck £2.5k away on relase value, and your going to rag it everywhere, probably worth it. If not, spend the cash on a 996sps/R (depending on what yuors is worth) and swap any bits over which are not on the new bike.

just my view