Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-Mar-2006, 23:10

748 Blown Engine (again - call for help)

Some of you may recall this post

748 Blown Engine

The situation is unresolved and still on-going. The bike is not repaired and the dealer concerned has made it clear they are not prepared to repair it under warranty.

If anyone has any information they think is useful, or has had a similar experience with this type of bike/engine or this dealer, please contact me.

Any help/advice given will be gratefully received.
Old 24-Mar-2006, 23:56
Webteam

Comments via U2U/email please - any defammatory comments will be removed.

Eamonn
DSC Webteam
Old 25-Mar-2006, 00:50
500SD

Mood: Double 9, Single 6.
Did ya get my e mail, concerning engine parts?
Old 25-Mar-2006, 01:20
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Trading standards. Good luck.
Old 25-Mar-2006, 01:33
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by twpd

Ditto...if they have done you wrong...take 'em to the cleaners (via the CAB or TS) and then once you have proved your point, and you KNOW you are in the right...then tell us the whole story...which will be 100% accurate and negative if need be.

Likewise, if you are proved wrong, I would be interested to hear.

I'm getting the impression more and more that this board is run by DUK et. al.

Is that OK with the webteam?

[Edited on 25-3-2006 by Harv748]

Old 25-Mar-2006, 09:48
500SD

This is the only forum I have used where its members are subject to censorship. I stongly disagree with this. I have no doubt this has been done to death before but surely this is not right.

If a member (paid up or otherwise) has a poor experience then I for one want to know about it. This forum is supposed to be the place to do that.
I thought this club was supposed to be independant of Ducati and its dealer / service network.

I do not belive that highlighting poor dealer service is defamatory. Surely these are the opinions of an individual and should be allowed to be posted.
Old 25-Mar-2006, 10:04
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 748ish . .

Mood: Sampai jumpa lagi
Quote:
Originally posted by GetawayRider
Some of you may recall this post
The situation is unresolved and still on-going.

Hello Herb

To some point I agree with your comments, but in defence to the post by the Web Team see quote from GetawayRider.

It would be unfair on all parties, just to hear one side of the story, and if legal action is pending why not wait to see the out come first. But yes I agree with Harv748 GetawayRider needs to seek legal advice ASAP.

my 2p worth,

GetawayRider hope you get things resolved soon, if its any consolation I had a 748 engine blow, bought a second hand engine, from a breakers. I can forward contact details.

regards

TopiToo
Old 25-Mar-2006, 11:17
Bevel Head

Mood: C'MON YOU IRONS !
Quote from this mays copy of RIDE magazine about your statutory rights..
"The right to expect the bike to be of merchantable quality.
The right to expect the bike to be fit for purpose.
The right to expect the bike to be as described
The right to eexpect the bike to be fit for the road
The right to expect the bike to be reasonably reliable"

U2U me,and I can post you the magazine if you like

Go straight to trading standards.
Old 25-Mar-2006, 12:35
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally posted by Harv748
Quote:
Originally posted by twpd

Ditto...if they have done you wrong...take 'em to the cleaners (via the CAB or TS) and then once you have proved your point, and you KNOW you are in the right...then tell us the whole story...which will be 100% accurate and negative if need be.

Likewise, if you are proved wrong, I would be interested to hear.

I'm getting the impression more and more that this board is run by DUK et. al.

Is that OK with the webteam?

Harv,

As one of the newest members of the Management Team, I can't say that I have noticed any undue influence on the MT from DUK or any of the dealer network.

In my PERSONAL opinion, this club represents a significant number of Ducati enthusiasts, and just the sort of people that anybody whose business has any sort of Ducati based goods or services to offer would want to reach out too. I think this club has got a lot to benefit from close relationships with DUK and the dealer network. However, DUK and the dealer network have also got a lot to gain by maintaining those links, both in terms of potential business, but also listening to the people on this board as a focus group for what Ducati enthusiasts really want, so it should be a healthy, synergistic relationship.

At the same time I would be dismayed if the club was in the pockets of those commercial interests and I, for one, would fight for a close relationship with DUK and the dealers, but a relationship that stayed healthy through COMPLETE independence. An enthusiasts consumer group if you will.

Having stated my case for independence let me just say that I fully understand the webteams caution in removing any defamatory statements involving commercial disputes from the board. The problem comes from the fact that these are emotive issues - the little guy against big business, and we all tend to side with the underdog. Consider that threads like this invariably present just one viewpoint, the dealer or the individual who is involved in the other side of the dispute rarely gets the chance to put their side of the story across, so if there are mitigating circumstances they never get heard. So in sitting as 'jurors' in this case we get to hear the prosecution case, but never allow the defence to speak.

The other thing that tends to happen is that threads like this spark comment from everybody who feels that they have suffered any type of raw deal from anybody else, whether it's connected to the original source of complaint or not. Therefore it drags in people and businesses who were never involved in the case in question and tars them with the same brush (however deservedly or undeservedly that might be).

Because of the nature of these threads it's very easy for them to descend into witch hunts which ultimately don't do anybody any good. As has been pointed out, there are appropriate channels of Citizens Advice Bureau, Trading Standards and Small Claims Courts, as well as campaigning organisations and TV/Radio programs to protect consumers rights if people have a serious claim.

What I do agree with is that once a dispute has been given an impartial and fair hearing by recognised 'authorities' and their judgement has been handed down then we as a club should not shirk away from publishing the complete and truthful facts if asked. My personal opinion is that we have a duty to keep traders honest.

Until that point arrives the club, as an entity cannot take sides regardless of the views of individual members.
Old 29-Mar-2006, 15:26

Sorry to cause a fuss.

Not looking to create bad publicity for anyone.

Just wanted some advice from people who have actually been in my situation or have spare parts/knowlege etc if it comes to me having to repair it myself, once i've exhausted all options available to me.

If you'd prefer to take it of the DSC then i can be reached at

ducati@datacatalyst.co.uk

Once it's sorted out i'll post the facts. Hopefully won't be too long.

Thanks

Jamie