Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Sep-2006, 09:37

Side Stands.

Just took delivery of a ST3 and very pleased so far (only 300 miles) Only one problem, the side stand seem very short and unstable. I had a ST4S a couple of years ago and didnt have this problem. Anyone know if ST4S stand would fit or any other ideas?

Cheers
Bud.
Old 26-Sep-2006, 11:23
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud
Just took delivery of a ST3 and very pleased so far (only 300 miles) Only one problem, the side stand seem very short and unstable. I had a ST4S a couple of years ago and didnt have this problem. Anyone know if ST4S stand would fit or any other ideas?

Cheers
Bud.
Does the ST3 have an adjustable ride height? Is it wound all the way up?
Old 26-Sep-2006, 12:38
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
The side stand from an ST4S will certainly fit because it's exactly the same part number - so it won't help your problem either.

Make sure that both the side stand mounting bolts are present and that they're torqued up correctly. They should be on a new bike but you never know, and a small amount of play in the mounting can show up a lot more in how the bike leans over.

As derek says, check the rear ride height. To do this put it on the centre stand on a flat bit of ground and measure the distance between th floor and the bottom of the rear wheel. For a sweet handling bike, most ST owners have the rear wheel just grazing the floor when the bike is on the centre stand, but there is an inevitable trade off on how stable it's going to be on the side stand with the rear ride height set higher 'cos the higher the rear the longer the stand would need to be.

You may decide you value a secure sidestand over sporty handling, but you can juggle about to get a good compromise. If all else fails you can try one of these lovely things...pricey but luscious http://www.cyclecat.com/DKS1-1.htm

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 26-Sep-2006, 12:48

Thanks for that chaps. my ST3 does not have adjustable ride height (ST3S does) so maybe just me being a bit nervous about side stand. The DKS option does look excellent but a lot of money just to settle my nerves!
Old 26-Sep-2006, 23:27

Bud,
take a photo of your ST3 on the stand. I will check it against the lean angle of my ST3.

Micko
Old 27-Sep-2006, 18:47

Cheers Micko,
Have just passed side stand to local engineering company to add 10-15mm plate to bottom, will photograph and post when complete.

Bud.
Old 06-Oct-2006, 08:22
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud
Thanks for that chaps. my ST3 does not have adjustable ride height (ST3S does) so maybe just me being a bit nervous about side stand. The DKS option does look excellent but a lot of money just to settle my nerves!

He's right you know, just checked mine and you can't adjust the ride height. I have to agree that the bike does tend to lean over fairish on the side stand which is why I tend to use the centre stand most of the time.

If you are really worried about it Bud I could cut out a piece of aluminium to follow the shape of the side stand foot that you could fit to the existing stand with a couple of screws. Let me know if interested, would probably do mine at the same time and it would work for anyone with an adjusted up ST2/4/4s

http://www.multirole-eng.com

http://www.audicator.com Check out our simple to fit, potentially life saving turn signal alert system.
Old 06-Oct-2006, 20:04
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: R1200RT F800GS. Hopefully another Ducati soon

I have been worried about the lean on my ST4 for ages and so are some of my non Ducati owning friends, I could easily get something welded on the foot part but surely its going to look completely rubbish. I e mailed spareshack and they replied......

"The sidestands cost 91 pounds + vat but we can do free postage on them at
present. Delivery is usually 1-2 weeks but it depends on exactly which one
is required and in which colour."

I will be going out to the garage to experiment with different packers to determine which length is best. Has anyone else fitted one ?
Old 06-Oct-2006, 20:09
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: R1200RT F800GS. Hopefully another Ducati soon

Options are silver or black and

0.35", 0.57" or 1" longer than the standard length