Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-Jul-2004, 23:29
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
S4R Huggers advice FYI

To whom its of interest...apparently the QB one doesnt fit very well, and the DP one isnt available yet, and I dont know about you, but protecting the back of the casing/shock was pretty high on my agenda !!

The only other solution was a prototype (DP moulded) item that stu had at spareshack. Good news..qualitys superb, and its £60 cheaper than the QB one. Bad news, theres nothing with it..no brackets, holes drilled..nothing !!!

Anyway, thought id take a flyer and try to knock something up. A mate of mine got me some 22mm bendy p clips (fork lift truck spares!), and they were perfect!! They were nice and bendy so you can mould them around the swingarm, and even come with a rubber sleeve to protect the swingram ! Just drilled a slit in the hugger with my dremel thingy, slid the end of the p clip in..drilled another couple of holes to the top of the hugger, and bolted the p clips in place.

Then cut the p clips to length, drilled the other end and used the bolts the hold the brackets in place that secure the rear brake line. Finished off with a cable tie to the rear end. Also got some highly adhesive car interior foam strips from a contact in Jaguar which will damp out any vibration and stop the hugger from rubbing anywhere.

A lot of arsing about, but well worth it. I got caught out in the rain a couple of times when I had my new 916, and it was never the same when all the crud got down the back of the casings and in the shock.

I know some of you may be thinking by now .. 'eckin 'ell that sounds like a right bodge' but it looks good as I hope youll agree when you see the photos !!

Ive took a few reference photos, and if anyone would like help or advice, then please shout !!

P.S Please forgive the state of it..I havent had chance to clean it yet with all the shitty weather !!

Cheers
Nat
Old 12-Jul-2004, 23:29
Ducati in my Blood

Close up of p clip..

Old 14-Jul-2004, 17:12
500SD

Mood: Relaxed - don't worry about things you can't change
I got the dealer to fit a QB one to mine ........apparently it fits perfectly....but I will be checking when I pick it up on Saturday!!!!!

Vman .....it may not look perfect but it will save your rear shock and the wheelside surface of the swinging arm
Old 14-Jul-2004, 19:32
Mille

Mood: Black Magic 999!
Logyk,

I am picking up my S4R on Saturday - weather permitting (don't want to get it wet just yet!) and I have been looking into the hugger situation. I would be very grateful if you could let me know what your thoughts are on the QB product.

By the way, if anyone is interested (as I am) in getting the full titanium Arrows system for the S4R then drop me a message as I can currently source them for £700 delivered - may be able to do a better deal if we buy a few?

The dealer is fitting the DP brushed aluminium clutch cover and red pressure plates for me and I will probably have to purchase the LED rear light conversion too at some point.

Have gone for the metallic grey option with the red wheel (very Sennaesque)

Guy
Old 15-Jul-2004, 21:16
500SD

Gizmo,

I will report back on Saturday after I pick it up .....
whatever the weather

It will eventually have the Ohlins/radial brakes front end .......if Ducati can deliver (what is it with Italians....don't they want my money ?)
Old 19-Jul-2004, 16:51
500SD

The QB Carbon hugger seems to fit just fine .

It obviously works since I ran through rivers of water on the Leeds Ring Road on Saturday....drain covers lifted with water spouting out!!

I can also report that it works even better in clement weather

I don't think it looks too bad either.

If I were you Gizmo I would buy one
Old 19-Jul-2004, 18:49
Mille

Many thanks for the report mate - do they look easy enough to fit to you? I wimped out of collecting mine Saturday due to not really wanting to ride 160 miles home through thunderstorms and torrential rain - big girl that I am!

Gonna get it delivered this Thursday along with the DP open clutch cover and red pressure plates. Will be ordering the Arrows system for it soon (to fit after 600 mile service) and think I will get the QB hugger too if it seems a good fit.

Cheers

Guy
Old 19-Jul-2004, 18:53
Ducati in my Blood

Guy..dont forget to post a pic..partic int in seeing your clutch setup..which DP one did you go for..not the £200 affair surely >

Cheers
Nat
Old 19-Jul-2004, 19:38
Mille

Nat,

If I could figure out how to post pics I would be happy to. I am getting the DP pressure plate and the DP spiders web brushed ally clutch cover - both in the DP catalogue. Arrows are coming from Italy when I can get round to sorting it out.

Vman,

Looks like you have started something here - everyone bailing off their race bikes and onto more useable machinery for the road

Guy
Old 19-Jul-2004, 19:50
Ducati in my Blood

Guy..how much did you get that clutch cover/plate for and where?? Ill probably go for the JHP cover with a DP plate..stainless springs too I hope

Cheers
Nat