Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 30-Apr-2004, 12:49

1000 DS SS Suspension settings.

1000 DS SS Suspension settings.

Showa front forks / Ohlins rear shock
Good kit, but It's all wasted on me.

Having just read the T.W.O. magazine test on the 1000DS SS, I have to agree with them on the bike having a hard/harsh ride.
In the test they said they had dialled out the harshness and the SS was now a really good road bike.

I have never had so many settings at my disposal.
I plan to soften up all of the damping front and rear as the bike tends to skip sideways on bumpy corners and bump me out of the seat occasionally.
How should i go about this?
What are the implications of over softening the suspension?

eg front rebound has a range of 0-16 clicks with the standard of 12. I will set this to 16.

(PS. I weigh in at around 11 stone if that has much bearing on anything)

Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom.
Richard
Old 30-Apr-2004, 13:02

Hi Richard,

Funnily enough I've been playing around with the settings on mine lately, for the same reason. I've actually got the front compression set on 3 of 19 or 20. Can't remember what the std was, but it was fine on track but way too hard for the road. Now it's about ok.

I changed the rebound from 16 to 10, and I'm not sure it's better, so I'm going to try it the other way.

I can't help you with the Ohlins I'm afriad, as I've just got the stock Showa shock. However, with nice quality kit you will notice a difference when you make adjustments. Just do one thing at a time and make sure you ride it like that for a while before changing it.

Let me know how you get on with the forks - I'd be interested to try some of your settings. I'm 13st, so slightly heavier.

cheers,

Nik
Old 30-Apr-2004, 19:50
Montjuic

the front end seems to be the problem , i had ohlins springs fitted in my forks and had the sus set up , before i had it done i had backed of the rear peload quite a bit but when they set it up the actually stiffened the rear up again and told me that the harshness was being transmitted from the forks right through the frame. i was not convinced but when i took the bike for a spin the transformation was amazing and i was wishing i had had it done as soon as i had bought the bike two yrs before. i also knocked 5 seconds of my times around snett and cadwell so my advice is get a pro to sort it and get the front springs changed i do not think you will regret it.