Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 08-Sep-2006, 12:20
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 900SS904cc
Been lurking here for a while but thought I'd jump out on this.

I think we are getting only half the story.

Ok after a lot of reading I find that his problem is NOT that 'A' 14 tooth gear won't fit, it's that it is different and won't fit or suit HIS bike. That other chick was saying she had the same thing. Both these bikes are 06 800 SS bikes in the USA. Anyone know for sure if these are the same or different. I know a 14 tooth fits my bike, 900ssie 2002, I've just gone back to a 15.

I don't really understand why you've brought us into this twpd, I feel no real good will come of it.

Caio

Ben

Hi Ben,

Check out what Antonye said above about where the sprocket is actually aligned when the locking plate goes onto the gearbox shaft. There's a recess on the splines so there is only one place it can be secured - this means that it's aligned correctly - not the size of the shoulder on the sprocket.

All us guys who race these things run 14t sprockets that are the renthal item from BandC which I daresay has exactly the same part number as the renthal item you guys are getting.

Why don't we check that and clear it up once and for all?
Old 08-Sep-2006, 12:41
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Also...

If you check the Ducati Performance catalogue, they have a 14t front sprocket listed under 44910061A to fit "SS/Sport 600/620/750/800/900"

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 08-Sep-2006, 14:55
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 900SS904cc
Been lurking here for a while but thought I'd jump out on this.

I think we are getting only half the story.

Ok after a lot of reading I find that his problem is NOT that 'A' 14 tooth gear won't fit, it's that it is different and won't fit or suit HIS bike. That other chick was saying she had the same thing. Both these bikes are 06 800 SS bikes in the USA. Anyone know for sure if these are the same or different. I know a 14 tooth fits my bike, 900ssie 2002, I've just gone back to a 15.

I don't really understand why you've brought us into this twpd, I feel no real good will come of it.

Caio

Ben

First of all Ben - it's not a bun fight. I am trying to help and have spent considerable time over on ducati.ms giving various people the info they need to obtain 14t 800ss psorckets - if you've been careful enough to read you will discover that I have three 800's (albeit one in bits) so I do have a very good idea of what I am talking about as well as a wealth of experience with the bike.
People over there are making catagorical statements to the effect that a 14t sprocket is not made or one cannot be fitted - both of which I dispute as I have fitted these sprockets to my bikes. Neither do I appreciate a pm telling me I am plain wrong - how can I be wrong when I've been through this exercise? The parts fit.

These are the same people who also told me that a Power Commander does not exist for the bike - I have two on two bikes using the part numbers recommended by the Power Commander people.

I have presented the facts in a clear manner with all the relevant contact info required to obtain the parts. I cannot be more helpful or precise than that. As they say - you can lead a horse to water but, you can't make it drink.

I brought the matter up here to seek the opinion of people whose knowledge and experience I respect. It is clear to me and others here that you can indeed get a 14t sprocket to fit - there is nothing different or unusual about the 800ss wrt to any other ssie bikes in this regard. How can anything bad come of clarification of this issue?

Over to you.

Last edited by twpd : 08-Sep-2006 at 14:57.