Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 08-Dec-2003, 13:25

1000ss pipes

Hi All,
New to the site and dukes.
Got me a new 1000ss earlier in the year and its great.
The only thing is it doesn't sound like a duke. All you can hear is the dry clutch. (although when riding, it sounds great from the induction roar.)
What cans would you recommend and Will the cans for a 900ss fit as nobody lists them for a 1000ss and will i need to change the injection/ignition mapping?
ps the 1000ss has catalytic converters in the original cans.
Old 09-Dec-2003, 13:36
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
Hi Richard,

To make it sound like a Ducati you need a set of aftermarket slip-on cans at the least.

Personally I have carbon Sil Motor cans on my '99 750ss. They sound a treat.

You also need to consider the street "legality" of fitting this type of thing.

Budget is probably a consideration. From what I have learned Termignoni, Remus, Ducati Performance are all good options, but also at the upper end of the price scale.

I don't know for sure about 900ss cans fitting the new 1000ss but I would guess that they probably would as the bike is essentially the same shape.

For info regarding mapping etc try Neil at Cornerspeed - http://www.cornerspeed.co.uk

He fitted my cans for me.

Cheers
Phill
Old 15-Dec-2003, 12:18

1000ss pipes

Scorpion do reaasonably priced alloy and carbon cans and they are easy to get hold of from M&P or MPS, but again they only list the 900ss.
Does anyone have any experience with the scorpion cans?
Old 15-Dec-2003, 14:48
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
The Scorpions aren't too bad a piece of kit.
There are the usual suspects to such as Micron, Sil Motor etc. which are better quality IMO.
I recently fitted a set of "budget" Viper cans to a customers bike. At only £220 the set, I was very surprised at the quality of them to be honest.
I have a new set of DP Remus cans for the 900SSie @ £396.
Not sure of the effect the cans would have on your fuelling. Even Ducati aren't listing specific product for the newer SS's yet. In theory, there should be a lambda sensor in there to look after the cat convertors, so some "self adjusting" could take place????
The earlier SSie's work fine with cans just with a resetting of the fuel injection.

[Edited on 15-12-2003 by nelly]
Old 15-Dec-2003, 21:15
Bevel Head

Mood: sleepy
Because of the re-designed cylinder head on the 1000 engine, If you want a complete system it will have to be 1000ss specific. But if you just want the slip ons i'm pretty certain that any 900ss listed ones will fit, but as has been said here the oe can contains the cat so some remapping will be in order for good running.
Old 19-Dec-2003, 15:44

1000ss pipes

It is just the cans that I want, to unleash the Duke noise.
However, I am concerned that I may upset the engine, as at the moment with the stock cans it is sweet. with massive power from low down, without any glitches throught he rev range.
And further more I certainly do not want to risk running it lean!!!
Any advice will be gratefully recieved as my only forray into sports exhausts has been drilling a large hole through my old kawasaki's baffles
Old 11-Jun-2004, 16:41
Mille

Mood: I need to get out and ride more!
I contacted my local dealer recently for my 1000ds as I wanted more noise too. They quoted me £577 fitted, nearly had a heart attack! Told me they would have to fitted by them as re-mapping is required, not a straightforward job. Like you love the bike and the torque, just come back from a blast - awesome.
Old 11-Jun-2004, 18:24
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Ive sold a few sets of remus/DP cans in both carbon and titanium to people like the ones nelly @ cornerspeed has and there very nice..at his price a steal too

I know some guys with 1000 monster who have just fitted the cans (without messing about with fuelling) , and they ran fine.

Good luck!
Nat
Old 12-Jun-2004, 10:43
Mille

Mood: waiting til next summer ;)
I have a set of scorpions on my 900ssie, and they are just plug n play, no need for re-mapping, and sound really awesome. For the price couldnt moan at all, performance wise, it seems to have a bit more grunt low down, and sorted the hesitation out.

Steve