Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 25-Nov-2009, 18:57
Mille

Advice re a trip to Spain

Hi. Me and a few mates are off to do Andorra in July and was looking for a spot of advice, do,s and donts from any of you who have done this trip?

We intend to get the ferry, Plymouth Bilbao and thats it... Was wondering if anyone knows of good places to stay and of course, great roads to try.
Thanks.
Old 25-Nov-2009, 22:17
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9rrr
Hi. Me and a few mates are off to do Andorra in July and was looking for a spot of advice, do,s and donts from any of you who have done this trip?

We intend to get the ferry, Plymouth Bilbao and thats it... Was wondering if anyone knows of good places to stay and of course, great roads to try.
Thanks.

I took a trip a few years ago with a few mates. We headed of running parralel to the Pyrenesse,towards Pamplona and beyond,some fantastic roads Compared to UK it doesn't matter where you ride over there it has everthing,fast sweepers to tight hairpins . Be aware if you ride some of the smaller B roads especially up in the hills cattle use the roads as well as bikes and its not unusual to hit a bend and find what you dont want to find lying across the road,I found that if a bends mark up with a sign it means a bend not like we have over here
All I can say is it pays to book ahead you B&B and we found the best places to stay were the old monestry's tucked up in the hillsides. We found a good booklet about them on the ferry.Often good accomodation and will do an evening meal. I saw two police officiers one man, one women watching a roundabout with bikes parked up sunning themselves nice wave to us no problems. It did rain one day so be prepared. Its so easy to over do it and we all found ourselves knacked, fitting in over 450 mile because we underestimated the distance from the ferry to our first B&B Likewise on the return journey to the ferry allow plenty of time to get back. Have a good safe trip. 4D
Old 26-Nov-2009, 11:21
DSC Club Rep
Big Twin
Bikes: 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordie
All I can say is it pays to book ahead you B&B and we found the best places to stay were the old monestry's tucked up in the hillsides.

I have done the same as Fordie. They are called Paradores. Excellents places to stay, but now with the Euro being so strong they can be a little pricey.

http://www.paradores.es/en/portal.do

http://www.paradors.net/
Old 26-Nov-2009, 11:57
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Depends what you are comfortable doing.

I've never booked ahead unless I know I'm going to be in the same place for a few days.

If you don't book ahead and want to tour (or tear) round all over theres no pressure to get somewhere by a certain day/time.

Taken that approach out of the school holidays but it's more of a risk when the holidays are on or a local event means accommodation is in demand.

Ray.
Old 26-Nov-2009, 16:34
Mille

Advice re trip to Spain

Thanks very much. I know there are supposed to be great roads. Anyone out there can name a few for me to jot some down.
Old 17-Dec-2009, 19:16
500SD

Mood: Firing on all 4 !!
Ooh ooh been here a couple of times a year for the last 4 and know a few nice roads that way now.
firstly what bike are you taking ? first time i took my old 916. heat killed it in the end so be carefull.
secondly, goto santander, quicker boat thats nicer to travel in by far. the old pride of bilbou is a shed and needs scrapping IMO
Right, get yourself a map, there is a road in northern spain the tremp road which is between puente de montanana to tremp. its a mountain pass with hairpins, great visability and grip and no traffic. but no run off either. mate fired his 636 B1H between the road and armco.
Also the N260 from sort to adrall is astounding.
there are so many superb roads around this area, but for what its worth, avoid andorra, its a congested hot dusty building site. go the other way round into france via borg madame, much nicer more fun route.
stop in ax le thermes and relax with your feet in the sulphur pool.

seriously, if your a number short and are happy to have a NC30 tagging along let me know.
Old 02-Feb-2010, 08:08

If you stop at Jaca don't park anywhere dodgy the civil police love bikes parked on the pavement, I Know with a 35 Euro on spot fine

Enjoy the roads best I've ever been on.
Old 02-Feb-2010, 19:46
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Another vote for the N260-awesome road.

John

Growing old-disgracefully!
Old 03-Feb-2010, 09:15
Mille

Hi. Where is the N260 exactly
Old 03-Feb-2010, 11:37
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9rrr
Hi. Where is the N260 exactly

Spanish side of the Pyrenees-runs from Puigcerga just east of Andorra to Sabinanigo which is just west of the Ordesa national park. According to my autoroute it is 196 miles long-and worth the ride-it basically goes along the foot of the Pyrenees.

John

Growing old-disgracefully!