Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 30-Jun-2005, 18:07
Bevel Head

Mood: Neutral - but only maybe. 1994 Duc 916S1, 2006 Duc Sportclassic 1000 Sport
916 swingarm pivot shaft removal

Hi guys

Has anyone got an easy way to remove the pivot shaft as mine seems to be seized?

I have removed the bolt from the right hand side of the bike but can't budge the shaft. The Haynes Manual says 'withdraw pivot shaft from left hand side' easy to say but not to do!

Does anything unscrew with an allen key on the left of the shaft or is it possible to drift the rod out from the right side? I have tried this tentatively but nothing seems to be moving.

As you probably can tell this is a job I havn't done before

Any tips
Old 30-Jun-2005, 18:20
Big Twin

Recently took one off that was seize on the left hand swing arm bearing. It moved an inch or so then stuck solid, took nothing but perseverance and a big lump hammer. But watch for the left hand bearing coming out of the swing arm yet still stuck solid on the shaft. If this happens it will push the left hand side of the frame and every time you whack the shaft from the right it just kinda bounces. We ended up strapping up the frame best we could to stop it trying to move apart.
Old 30-Jun-2005, 19:02
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

To remove the swingarm, you simply need to remove the right side bolt and push the pivot shaft out the left side. A 3/8-in socket extension will work here if the shaft moves freely. However, if the swingarm pivot hasn’t been lubed annually the shaft is probably seized and that’s why Ducati supplies a factory tool made out of softer aluminum to prevent damaging the shaft during removal. But, you can make your own.

Sometimes, you will run into a seized one where you pretty much have to write the pivot off and get it out using penetrating oil, heat, and a lot of brute force.

Swingarm Bolt Removal Drift

The tool should be made of softer aluminum rod (like the factory tool) so as not to damage the swingarm bolt threads.

The end that engages the bolt is turned-down to 13.5mm in diameter, 15mm in length.

The diameter then enlarges to 19.5mm, for an additional 295mm.

Finally the diameter enlarges to about 30mm, for an additional 100mm long. This is the end that you hammer on so the dimensions are not too critical.

Overall it is 15 + 295 + 100 = 410mm long with three diameters.
Old 30-Jun-2005, 19:49
Bevel Head

Mood: Neutral - but only maybe. 1994 Duc 916S1, 2006 Duc Sportclassic 1000 Sport
Thanks for the tips. I was thinking in the right direction then.
Will now go and try again using a bigger hammer to start with and see what happens
Old 30-Jun-2005, 20:16
Mille

I used a length of 8mm studding, nuts, washers & sockets to make a drawbolt assembly. Best to use high tensile studding if poss.

If poss run bike up to running temp, couldn't shift the bolt until hot.

I found just whacking the bolt with a club hammer didn't work.
Old 01-Jul-2005, 13:09
500SD

Just had to drill one out, that was fun - not!!!