Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 14-Apr-2009, 21:53

I was running two bikes back to back at Anglesey on Monday and I hadn't realised that one was on ZR's until I checked after the session, the bike with ZR's did feel much better at the beginning than the H rated tyre and didn’t move at all. I know there are many other factors to take into account, but I set the rear of both bikes the same and the front wasn't far off. Note the H's had done two races at Donington, the ZR's looked older but don’t know their history.
Old 15-Apr-2009, 00:36
DSC Club Member
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
A second scrute came over to the scrute that was looking over my bike at Donny and told him to check that mine were Hr's, same happened to Nog on the friday evening.

Must confess I would prefer to ride Z rated in DD. You can see that they are/have been working. But conversely some peeps put incredible times in on these H rated so its all in the mind.
Old 15-Apr-2009, 11:42
Big Twin

Holbeach have a good stock of H rated at £160 a pair fitted, be sure to call before and he will bring to the meeting.

A few people who did this did not collect or go and see Mark at Donnington which could affect things at later rounds if it happens too often.

At Donnington he did have extra pairs than requested but at the end of the day as space is limited in the truck he will bring either pre ordered or tyres he knows he will sell on the day.

Gordon

Euro in the past 1.4*** = £1 now equal at nearly 1 to 1 - made outside UK therefore price increase - simple

Last edited by gordonparker : 15-Apr-2009 at 15:56.
Old 15-Apr-2009, 13:00

Just had this note back from the supplier I bought my last tyres from only 4 weeks ago. I hope this trend doesn't continue, as I'd bet we're about the only group left who are buying this tyre. I still consider £160 as an extortionate amount to pay for a very average road tyre.

Hi Robin thanks for your purchase last time of these tyres. Yes these tyres
have gone up as we actually supplied them to you at a lose. They are now
£164.95 delivered. Hopefully these prices are competitive still??
Old 16-Apr-2009, 00:33
DSC Club Member
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
A Z rated at racing speed on a track with a lighter bike will get more heat into it than the same Z rated on a road bike on the road. So why not make them available, as there are plenty of outlets to choose from at competitive prices.

Given this option I would bet money that very few people would elect to stay with the Hr and opt for the Zr, I certainly would use the Zr.

If you always do what you always did you will always get what you always got. So lets move on, as this tyre won't be around after this season if it makes the season duration.

Also as we HAVE to use it I think a monopoly on price is occuring, not to our advantage either.
Old 16-Apr-2009, 01:44
500SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
A Z rated at racing speed on a track with a lighter bike will get more heat into it than the same Z rated on a road bike on the road. So why not make them available, as there are plenty of outlets to choose from at competitive prices.

Given this option I would bet money that very few people would elect to stay with the Hr and opt for the Zr, I certainly would use the Zr.

If you always do what you always did you will always get what you always got. So lets move on, as this tyre won't be around after this season if it makes the season duration.

Also as we HAVE to use it I think a monopoly on price is occuring, not to our advantage either.

Monopoly... I think your right!
I'll keep my cheap h rated supplier link to myself next time if find one!!!
£136+ free shipping not long ago
Old 16-Apr-2009, 01:50
500SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonparker
Holbeach have a good stock of H rated at £160 a pair fitted, be sure to call before and he will bring to the meeting.

A few people who did this did not collect or go and see Mark at Donnington which could affect things at later rounds if it happens too often.

At Donnington he did have extra pairs than requested but at the end of the day as space is limited in the truck he will bring either pre ordered or tyres he knows he will sell on the day.

Gordon

Euro in the past 1.4*** = £1 now equal at nearly 1 to 1 - made outside UK therefore price increase - simple

+ £10 postage + fitting fee if you need them before race day because you can't afford to enter saturday to scrub them in........
Old 16-Apr-2009, 11:54

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost

I'd certainly vote for a change to ZR's, their actually cheaper then the H rated now and from what I can gather price was the rational behind the original selection
Old 16-Apr-2009, 12:24
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinashman
I'd certainly vote for a change to ZR's, their actually cheaper then the H rated now and from what I can gather price was the rational behind the original selection

Robin

The desision was based on performance not price and advice from Pirelli, we have been down this discussion road many times, the rules have been amended to the current situation and will be reviewed later in the year for next season.

Gordon
Old 16-Apr-2009, 21:02
Mille

At the risk of being accused of stirring....which I'm not. Forget this season we're on Pirelli's. It's 2010 we should be looking at.

There are other options....

Has anyone else read the test reports on the new Michelins ?...

Every report I have read praises them to enth degree WET or DRY. Better than Pirelli Corsa's, Dunlop Qualifiers, and the rest....

....and because Michelin no longer have the expense of supporting MotoGP; they are cheaper than £160; as Michelin are putting their Grand Prix budget back into national and club racing

It is something that should be looked at ASAP for next season. March 2010 will be to late....again.