Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 30-Jul-2011, 00:15
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Red face HM Playing Silly Buggers...

My HM started playing up this morning, naughty little git!

Did my usual routine of riding to the petrol station less than a mile up the road and filling her up for the day. Yes, it only lasts the 76 mile round trip to work, so I have to fill up every day.

Normally it's a pain to restart after filling - probably because it's decided to just come off the choke (ok, so the FI equivalent!) but the bike isn't warm enough, so you usually have to stab the starter and catch it on the throttle too.

However, this morning after filling I switch on and get the engine light, so it won't start.

No worries - it's happened before - so I switch off and on again. Bugger ... same thing.

A few flicks and it finally goes out so I can start the bike and ride to work. Then I'm thinking that it would be awfully inconvenient if it lets me down half-way round the M25, or leaves me stranded at work... but I make it there ok.

Then tonight after leaving the office, I switch it on ... bugger. Engine light.
Switch off, switch on. Engine light. Bugger. Switch off, switch on. Engine light. Bugger. Switch off, switch on. Engine light. Bugger. etc. Bugger.

So I start having a feel around the connectors, but nothing is obviously amiss. Then I'm thinking and have a flash of inspiration ...

I stick my fingers down the side of the ignition cover and hook them under to feel ... a wire. The transponder wire. The wire that should go to the ring that sits deep in the ignition cover to read the code from the key, but has now dropped down!

I stuff the wire and ring back up as far as I could, switch on and bingo!

The bloody antenna for the key had come loose and dropped down so it wasn't close enough to the key to read it.

Now if only I could work out what kind of constant motion may have caused it to come loose ... like the front wheel going up and coming down a lot ... hmmm ...

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 30-Jul-2011, 01:49
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Do you mean something like this???

[IMG][/IMG]

Chris
Old 30-Jul-2011, 01:55
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
76 miles to a tank, should have got a 1100 Monster, got 120 miles out of the tank on mine last Saturday and the ariel hasn't dropped down dispite the excessive front wheel travel

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 30-Jul-2011, 09:34
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 996S

Mood: Waiting for the warmer weather.
Glad you got it sorted Ant.
Do you fancy a ride to the Groombridge tomorrow?
Old 02-Aug-2011, 18:54
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonye
The bloody antenna for the key had come loose and dropped down so it wasn't close enough to the key to read it.
Quite a common problem,...also can happen on 749/999's.
Old 16-Aug-2011, 19:53

Question

My Hyper i switch on let the Christmas tree lights re set stab the button and it carry,s on till it starts.