Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Apr-2004, 00:02
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
what spares would you take...

for a 10 day / 3k mile trip ?

I'm taking some more tools than come in the very basic tool kit, spare bulbs, puncture repair kit, etc, but wondered if there were any spares I should think about taking.
Anything you would recommend I consider ??

Cheers,
John.
Old 15-Apr-2004, 00:23
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Just done 2200 odd miles around France / Italy...only things not on your list that I took were some cable ties which were needed for a faulty shower head in our hotel in Gap and a roll of Gaffer tape ( Duct tape to the rest of you) which repaired the side pod which decided to break on my Arai helmet!
Oh, and a small torch!!!!!!
Needed to get back to hotel from bar when dark.......
Andy
Old 15-Apr-2004, 00:30
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Empty credit card

Seriously,

Erm...isnt a first aid kit compulsory?

Tie down strap to anchor front wheel to side stand etc if using ferry.

Have Fun
Old 15-Apr-2004, 09:47
Big Twin

I have a first aid kit under the seat all the time.
Good point re the tie downs...P&O and Hoverspeed are great...they do a superb job of fastening down your bike for you with seriously big straps, infact Hoverspeed even have vinyl cushions to go over your seat to protect it from the straps.
Brittany Ferries....they throw some bits of thin polypropylene rope at you with a Gallic shrug!!
Take a towel or similar to protect your seat if you dont get given a cushion for it.
Best tie downs?
IKEA!!!!!
They do a natty web tie down for £2.50 designed for roof rackuse...there are no metal hooks on this one and its nice & long & two of them do a great job holding an ST4S down across the Bay of Biscay.
Andy

[Edited on 15-4-2004 by Rushjob]
Old 15-Apr-2004, 13:46
500SD

So no spares as such then ??

I usually take some bungee cords to bungee the front brake on (and to strapo anything else on the bike that the wife buys !! ), and put my gloves on the seat for them to put the tie-down over.

Good point about the cable ties and gaffer tape. They used to live under the seat of the vfr all the time, so better remember to put them back on the ST.
I'm still waiting for my side bag to arrive, then they'll live in that.

We always carry a torch too, and an empty CC, so got most of those items covered.
I was thinking more along the lines of any likely 'consumables'.
I guess I'll just pick up a selection of nuts & bolts from P&H at the weekend, just incase

Andy, where did you go in France/Italy ?
Gap has some nice roads around it, but we didn't rate the place itself. Was there still lots of snow about ?
Sorted out our route last night for our trip around France/Spain in 2 weeks time. Can't wait

Cheers,
John.
Old 15-Apr-2004, 14:05
Big Twin

The overall route over the week was Calais, Arras, Dijon, Lyon, Grenoble, Grasse, Nice, Monaco, San Remo, Gap,Grenoble, Lyon, Roanne, Orleans, Chartres, Rouen, Dieppe, Calais. In the South East area, can recommend the N75 / N85 Grenoble to Grasse N85 Gap to Grenoble and the D900 Borgo San Dalmazzo ( Italy ) where it snowed at 1900+ meters altitude to Gap.
Also the E74 ( S20 in Italy, N204 in France ) from Borgo San D to Ventimiglia on the Riviera.
Didn't really find a bad road to be honest!

[Edited on 15-4-2004 by Rushjob]
Old 15-Apr-2004, 14:56
500SD

I'll have to look those road numbers up.

There is a cracking road that goes north from a place called Die. We rode it southbound, and it is tremendous. It goes backwards and forwards around the outside of a natural amphitheatre. The road pops into the top of it via a tunnel from the other side, after riding through some stunning narrow rock gorges.
Also there is a great road that runs east-northeast from Orange towards Gap.
We stayed in Orange a couple of years back, and rate it highly.

Btw, I was wrong, When I said we didn't rate Gap I was thinking of Briancon. Sorry.

We're off to a little village near Clermont Ferrand in June for 5 days too to have a play in the massif central.
Don't you just love the French roads

We have found some dodgy roads, mainly as a result of roadworks and there being no warning. The french seem to love spreading loose gravel on the roads and letting the cars/lorries/bikes roll it flat for them
One of our group had a moment riding up the Grand Ballon last year. Looked like someone had thrown spagetti on the road, there was that much overbanding.

Right, better get bakc to work. Doing too much dreaming about bike holidays !
Old 15-Apr-2004, 21:23
Mille

Mood: Abbia Divertimento---o0o---Cassaforte Di Soggiomo
Spares ?? Whatfor???

John
I would never carry any - BUT - I have too because in Switzerland and in most european countries it is compulsory to carry a basic set of replacement buls and fuses, and although not a spare as such a first aid kit. If the local plod stops you and you do not have these then your wallet will indeed become very much lighter!!

Speaking of plod and your destination france - le flick are now on an official "productivity" drive to raise cash for loads of unnamed charities. They are now super keen on speeding/overtaking/noise and drinking - so do but just a little more alert for them than before. And yes there are more of them - the government has funded another 4,000 for the roads!!!

Finally ferries were mentioned in one post - I came over to Blighty last year and used Norfolk Line because they were dirt cheap (Euro30 single) the loading crew were real gents and put me on and off first, and they provided and did the tie down with huge cushions so as not to mark the bike at all. To top that they have a max space of 12 bikes on the ship I was on, each in it's own specially marked out parking bay. Finally the bar/cafe was big enough for all those on board to strech out in. It's not a first class cruise ship as it's for truckers, but it's the business.
Old 15-Apr-2004, 22:00
Big Twin

Ah yes, Les Flics.......
As mentioned some time ago by M Guenet they are getting keen on speed....saw numerous speed traps and very well organised they were...cops with lasers hiding behind walls then an intercept team further up the road waiting.
The common thread with all of these was that they were in towns.
The locals were good at letting you know they are there but keep a look out anyway.
Good job there weren't any out of town