Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 14-Dec-2004, 21:20
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
"I give up"-why Steve, it seems to me all Tim is saying is that a trackday rider will get a psycological adavntage from using slicks whereas a racer will actually ride the tyres to their limits anyway. If it's of any help Dave Cook started to use slicks on his SPS and went faster than ever before-he is now back using 208's and lapping faster than on slicks. It seems to me that he would probably be able to lap faster on slicks now if he used the advantage they would give him. From Weeksy's reply it would seem that a modern track biased tyre like a Supercorsa is virtually a slick, well a cut slick anyway.
Got to say that I would happily ride on Supercorsa's without using warmers but I will NEVER ride slicks again without warmers.

John

[Edited on 14-12-2004 by Monty]
Old 14-Dec-2004, 22:38
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
It was a pretty accomplished racer that suggested I ran on slicks for the very reason that they would give me the confidence to run 1.5 - 2 secs a lap quicker than on "road" tyres!

Am all confused now.....
And Rattler, take the Monster, if you been there before it would be a serious hoot piddling off all us psuedo racers!
Old 15-Dec-2004, 00:12
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
Yeti. Don't overtake a red bike with a guy with ducati performance leathers. it will only lead to tears.

Don't drink too much on the evening, That too will lead to the same conclusion.

Always be the first to buy the drinks, that way peeps will only be too pleased to offer advice

And finally, If we get into any trouble, place yourself in front of me
Old 15-Dec-2004, 11:31
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by weeksy
Quote:
Originally posted by Monty
"I give up"-why Steve, it seems to me all Tim is saying is that a trackday rider will get a psycological adavntage from using slicks whereas a racer will actually ride the tyres to their limits anyway.

John

[Edited on 14-12-2004 by Monty]

Feels kinda like each time i post it's either coming over as 'i'm a racer, you must listen to me' or 'racers are better, we are the only ones who have a clear perspective'

But it's really not like that at all.

Weeksy - don't give up - we are all entitled to our opinions!

Without wishing to come over pretentious;

Its often the way you present your opinions that may cause this;

Example -

Quote:
Finally, don't run slicks. Pointless. (more info if you want it.)

This is pretty direct, and offers no reasoning (although you do invite requests for further info). You say its "pointless" - it may be for the racers that performed the test, but not necessarily pointless for the majority of trackdayers who read this board.

I personally have definitley benefited from slicks and explained why. Monty also suggests that Dave Cook has benefited from using slicks.

So rather than inviting comment and discussion, you're potentially alienating yourself from people who may have a differing view.

I welcome your input here, your experience of going from trackday attendee to race competitor is very applicable to what many of us would-be Desmo Duers will be experiencing.

Tim

[Edited on 15-12-2004 by Rattler]
Old 15-Dec-2004, 11:58
WSB Hero

Weeksy - you've a U2U
Old 15-Dec-2004, 12:04
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by Rattler
Weeksy - you've a U2U

Tim, I may be wrong but I don't think Weeksy can get u2u's from the office. A mail perhaps? I hope you saved the txt
Old 15-Dec-2004, 12:31
WSB Hero

Have emailed your hotmail account.
Tim
Old 15-Dec-2004, 15:47
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
Hey guys, I didn't mean for this thread to upset anyone. I understand exactly where Weeksy is coming from, and although I heard what he said, I also took on board the fact that it was racers who did the test.

A good pal of mine is a very accomplished racer and it was he who said that, in his opinion, if I opted for slix, it "should" be worth 1.5 - 2 seconds a lap. I take this guys advice very seriously as he has proved time and again just how good he is.

I am gonna need a new set of tyres in any case, so it might as well be slix as I already have some inters if it rains - which of course it's not going to!

Finally, if I'm c**p, I'm sure you lot will tell me when we get there!

Booked it, packed it, f****d off. Ding, dang, do!
Old 15-Dec-2004, 18:34
Big Twin

Mood: r
i think they got tyres out their? i hope so.?
Old 15-Dec-2004, 19:03
WSB Hero

They will have tyres out there, but will probably be more expensive than getting them here.

Give them a call and get a price and if you are going to get them out there pre-book them so they're guaranteed to have them. I don't think they'll take slicks out there normally though.

What I'm likely to do is to buy some new (cheap) SCs here and ship them out with the bike and get them to fit them there probably on the second day.
The first day will be spent getting used to the track and I can use the ones I've got on the ZX already doing this.

I'm not sure that one set will last all four days, and I don't want to get to the last day and be pushing it (as I'll know the track better) and bin it as the tyres are beyond their best.

I reckon you can get SCs here for £160 delivered (or maybe cheaper) and they'll probably charge £10 a wheel to fit, so approx £180 all in, whereas they'll probably be over £200 to supply and fit tyres when you're out there.

Also, I've got some part-used SCs that I can take if you like, these are SC1(front) and SC2(rear). These are 120 and 180 - but I need 190 for the ZX (as the rear wheel is 6inch), but can use the 120 front. So you can have one of the 180s if you like? Or I can bring it as a backup if required?

Tim