Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 05-Jul-2005, 14:41
Dibble

Quote:
Originally posted by ericthered40
I did also realise one other ambition during the day although unintentionally, that being the one hundred miles per hour stoppy after missing my braking point at the end of the start/finish straight just before going in to Paddock.

ha ha ha .. I've done that ... scarey isn't it .......
Old 05-Jul-2005, 14:46
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by Rattler
For me the trackday was in fact a bit dissapointing.

I understand the reason for running 4 groups and that the red flags were not the fault of Apex, but there were too many people out on track in mixed ability groups.

My first 2 sessions were broken up with red flags and perhaps due to the size of he circuit, we spent a long time in pitlane before going out again.

Each session was circa 15 mins long and if red-flagged - which 4 of my 6 sessions were (and quite a few of the others group's) - got really broken up and difficult to get warmed up tyres.

In truth - could I organise a trackday on a big circuit like Brands GP with circa 200 bikes - No - so credit should go to those who can.

The idea of 4 groups is commercially viable given the seemingly preventative costs of Brands GP trackdays,but they're not for me.

Too many stoppages and too little tracktime means that I'd rather pay more money for more time on a clearer track and less chance of muppetry.

Tim
Old 05-Jul-2005, 14:52
500SD

I liked the included lunch. It makes you take a break which can only be a good thing. Pity they didn't count the number of bikes though I didn't get let out on one session because they were up to the bikes-on-track limit. Still, they were good enough to let me tag onto the last Novice outing as there was space. To be frank, given my 'head' troubles, it was where I belonged anyways
Old 05-Jul-2005, 14:56
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
Quote:
Originally posted by DIBBLE
Quote:
Originally posted by ericthered40
I did also realise one other ambition during the day although unintentionally, that being the one hundred miles per hour stoppy after missing my braking point at the end of the start/finish straight just before going in to Paddock.

ha ha ha .. I've done that ... scarey isn't it .......

O yes

Where’s all this traffic then
Old 05-Jul-2005, 14:58
Big Twin

Mood: suck, squeeze, bang,......fart?
bit harsh that Tim.

The stoppages couldn't be helped by Apex but they did try to minimise lunacy by banning overtaking for the first lap (more for the novices).

As far as I could see, anyone that wanted to swap groups was able to (and there were a lot that wanted to do that).

There was a limit to the number of bikes at any one time, as evidenced by Rallye not being allowed out in one of his sessions (made up for by being allowed to join the novice group for the next session).

The quality of the day depends on a whole load of factors. I definitely would not have enjoyed it as much if it had rained properly, or if I got pulled off the track several times as your group did, but I think Apex got all the ingredients right.

Perhaps you could get Jon to walk in front of your bike waving a black flag next time :P
Old 05-Jul-2005, 15:02
500SD

Mood: What's going on??
Was I the only guy who didn't get there?

Limits to the number of bikes on track, showing my ignorance here, but surely there is a space if someone doesn't turn up?
Old 05-Jul-2005, 15:06
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Not sure it was harsh;
- I did say that the stoppages were not Apex's fault and the no-overtaking is standard on most days.

- Individuals being able to swap groups when they want may not in fact be a good thing (mixed group abilities, but the same group of mates!!).

- limited groups - does Rally's feedback not suggest that they were either overbooked for that particular group or not checking who should be in it?

I don't want to overplay this and will provide no further comment on this, as this is only my opinion.

I was only providing my (I felt balanced) feedback on the day and as a result will not attend a 4 group trackday again. I'd happily use Apex again though. Others can and should, do as they see fit.

Tim
Old 05-Jul-2005, 15:07
500SD

Mood: Out with the grey....in with the satin black
IMHO, I don't think the marshalling was strict enough. The policy was no overtaking for at least one lap. There were a few muppets that blatantly ignored that rule. There might not have been so many red flags early in the sessions if the rule had been enforced with black flags/ warnings, etc.
Old 05-Jul-2005, 15:14
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
Quote:
Originally posted by Wylie1
IMHO, I don't think the marshalling was strict enough. The policy was no overtaking for at least one lap. There were a few muppets that blatantly ignored that rule. There might not have been so many red flags early in the sessions if the rule had been enforced with black flags/ warnings, etc.
I enjoyed the day but would rather 3 groups regardless of cost.
the over take rule was a bit lame as by the time I had finished my first lap there were people still coming out on track for there first.
so don't think they were to pleased when I came passed.
Still I enjoyed it and would like to go back and do brands GP again.
Thanks. K
Old 05-Jul-2005, 15:17
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
i agree, with a circuit that length, the whole group should be out well before the first riders are coming round to finish their first lap.