Ducati Sporting Club UK
Race
MotoGP / WSB / BSB / Local racing.
*** WARNING*** May contain race results!!

Old 02-Feb-2006, 13:48
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
Fastest again

That's the top 2 places in tests at 2 different circuits

Moto GP test
Old 02-Feb-2006, 13:51
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Hopefully the alarm bells are ringing at Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki etc
Old 02-Feb-2006, 13:52
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Good to see Stoner close the gap to Pedrosa as well - they are all over each other like a cheap suit! Should be a very interesting year in GP's and WSB ... I can't wait!
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
Be nice if they could carry it forward to a GP proper.
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Is this not just a case of sticking some qualifiers on, though?
Old 02-Feb-2006, 13:59
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by Felix
Is this not just a case of sticking some qualifiers on, though?

Probably, who knows. It's interesting to compare how many laps they've done as well. I guess we don't know what they were testing but I wouldn't be surprised if Ducati whacked on some qualifying tyres as it's good exposure to top the tests.
Old 02-Feb-2006, 14:00
BSB Star

Makes good reading, but will it carry on into the season? At the end of last years season, the Sedici was finding some form with ickle Loris (until he broke himself). So, maybe this is for real?
Old 02-Feb-2006, 21:46
Mille

Mood: Monster Mania?
Faster than ?

True, they used qualifiers but-- here's hopeing for a good season.

Gibernau, Melandri share honours at 'Island test.

Exactly one week after dominating the pre-season test times at Sepang, Ducati Marlboro riders Sete Gibernau and Loris Capirossi repeated the feat by locking down the top two overall positions at the end of the three-day Phillip Island test - but Honda's Marco Melandri was fastest on race tyres.

After yesterday's rain, the Honda, Ducati and Kawasaki teams were delighted to find dry weather return on Thursday, allowing uninterrupted running around the challenging seaside circuit. The previous wet weather had taken its toll however, with the track described as offering lower grip than usual.

New Desmosedici rider Gibernau eventually set the overall pace courtesy of a 1min 30.06secs circulation, set with qualifying tyres. That lap was still over 0.65secs from Nicky Hayden's Repsol Honda pole time at last October's Australian Grand Prix, but was enough to keep Gibernau 0.19secs ahead of team-mate Loris Capirossi's qualifying run. Shinya Nakano's Bridgestone shod Kawasaki was third with a 1min 30.59secs...

But fastest of all on race rubber was Fortuna Honda rider Melandri, with a lap of 1min 30.60secs - around 0.27secs slower than his own race lap record at the GP. Hayden was next best on race tyres with a 1min 30.90secs, while Gibernau's lapped just 0.02secs slower than the #69, with Capirossi fourth on a 1min 31.07secs.
Melandri set his best time during a massive 133 Thursday laps - and didn't even stop for lunch. The young Italian is chasing a base setting that he can work with at any circuit, tactics that served him well in 2005 on his way to runner up position in the world championship.

"We had such a lot of work to and we didn't stop all day. Most of the time testing race tyres, Michelin didn't have any qualifying tyres to test," stated Marco. "I didn't make a race simulation with tyres but we did a few long runs. We continued working in the direction we found on the first day of the test and the bike worked well. Basically we are still working on a base set up that will be good for all tracks but we still have more to do on front end."

Meanwhile, the Ducati performance again underlines the potential of the new Bridgestone shod GP6, which was always expected to perform well at Sepang - where Capirossi took pole and victory in the Malaysian Grand Prix - but was slightly more of an unknown quantity at Phillip Island (Capirossi having missed the race due to injury, while team-mate Carlos Checa took a podium finish).
"Today was a positive day, the team is working hard and so are the guys back in the factory," said Sete, who completed 102 laps. "We made a small step forward with the engine braking software. With Bridgestone we're still trying to find what we need to improve and make the bike's handling more predictable. There is still a lot of room for improvement and we will have to work hard in the next tests."

"Every day that goes by I am more and more convinced of the potential of the GP6, even at this track, which is very fast and technical," added Capirossi, who rode for 97 Thursday laps. "I tested two chassis, one of which was stiffer than the other, and at the next tests in Sepang we will decide which one to use throughout the season. They both have pros and cons, but for the moment I prefer the less stiffer one. We have a big margin for improvement with the tyres. Bridgestone have got a lot of data to work with to make improvements in the next tests and, knowing them, I'm sure they will."

Nevertheless, in order to fully silence its sceptics before the new season, Ducati will need to repeat its recent pace at the Spanish based IRTA tests - to be held at Barcelona and Jerez in early March - since those are circuits where the Ducati/Bridgestone partnership struggled badly last season. If such circuits can be sorted then a 2006 championship challenge could be on the cards.

Yamaha and Suzuki teams were not present at Phillip Island and will instead test at Qatar from February 5-8. The five main MotoGP manufacturers will then return to the track together when pre-season testing resumes at Sepang, for the third and final time, from February 14-16.

courtesy of crash.net

Old 02-Feb-2006, 21:49
Big Twin

Mood: r
i think we should look back at posts who was happy/hacked off when sete signed up? :P
Old 02-Feb-2006, 23:42
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Yeah, I agree, Pedro. I seem to remember there were quite a few "names" being invented...:P

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit