Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 21-Jun-2004, 16:49
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Braking options

On yesterday's rideout I started to get a lot of vibration when I was braking, so much so that I started braking into bends that I wouldn't normally brake into just to see if it was still there or whether it would go away...as if

So, I haven't checked the discs yet, but since it's got gradually worse since I first felt it start to tingle on the way back from Yorkshire a couple of weeks back, I'm pretty sure that one of the discs will be warped and need replacing.

What are the options? I assume that since they're the original discs they'll both be worn by about the same amount and if one is warped the other may be about to give up as well. I also have a gut instinct that with something as crucial as brakes you don't want to skimp and that replacing them as a pair might be better.

However, I'm also getting teed off with launching money at the bike. It seems I'm always having to replace something, the brakes are just the latest in a 'to do' list that includes replacing a broken speedo or drive cable, getting the sidestand and the centre stand powder coated cos they've gone all manky, getting the DP exhausts I'm buying from Marko fitted, replacing the LCD display and trying to get an ally swingarm from an ST4S...

Obviously the brakes got right to the top of the priority list, but brake discs are expensive. Are there any good quality brake discs that are less expensive than genuine Ducati ones? Are waveys a viable option? What are the alternatives?

Of course safety is paramount so if the only option is to bite the bullet and cough for genuine parts then....
Old 21-Jun-2004, 18:42
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
There are several options,none of them cheap tho.
You could source some s/h discs from ebay or this very board.Be carefull tho,as you might end up buying some that are more warped than the ones you already have.(Like I did! )
Firms like Ferodo,EBC,PFM,etc all offer replacement discs for around 300quid a pair.Add another 50-80quid for wavies.
PFM do a floating conversion kit where you retain your standard disc centres.The weld on the back of the disc "buttons" is ground off and the disc removed.The new disc is fitted with new buttons that are held on with circlips.I fitted some to the wifes 900ss and they worked a treat.Cost is around 100 pounds per disc.

Hmm,
Just had a flick thru the catalogues.It looks like the floater kits are not available anymore.Lots of mutterings about dodgy circlips!(gulp!)So its complete discs or nothing.

[Edited on 21-6-2004 by KeefyB]
Old 21-Jun-2004, 19:30
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Yoyodyne: Replacement Brembo discs US$130 each. That's about 140 quid a set! You usually get within 3-4 days.
Old 21-Jun-2004, 19:48
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Jools

u2u re some disc's i have for sale.
Old 23-Jun-2004, 11:06

Mood: Senna coloured!
PFM's are superb
Old 23-Jun-2004, 15:13
Bevel Head

Mood: Neutral - but only maybe. 1994 Duc 916S1, 2006 Duc Sportclassic 1000 Sport
Don,t ever ever ever buy replacement disks which involve circlips. They might be suitable for a ped but thats about all.

Personally fitted EBC Prolites's with sintered pads when my 916's Brembos warped.

Can highly recommend for improved braking but can stick on if disks wet when bike put away after rain actually I presume this is due to cast iron disks rusting a little as opposed to the stainless Brembos not
Old 23-Jun-2004, 15:38
Mille
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Enjoying a REAL summer!
Hold on thar just a minute....!

Before you splash out £300 on new discs, take a few minutes to check out the 'buttons' that mount the ones you have now.

The discs should be semi-floating and are allowed to do this by the round buttons that sit between the rotor and the hub mounting carrier.

Can you move these buttons easily, turn them round in situ with just a finger on either side?

If not this could be your problem - the disc is not being allowed to move and is therefore being held at an angle that gives the impression that it's warped.

Take some WD40 or similar and a toothbrush and get to work at lubing and cleaning up the buttons, particularly the groove in which the rotor sits. Once this has been done and the buttons all move round freely, use plenty of brake cleaner to remove the lubricant from your brakes (if you don't they may not judder but they won't stop you either!) and see if that makes the difference.

I did this on an Aprilia Mille (same Brembo set up as my '99 SPS) and the transformation was amazing. It had previously judddddddderrrrrrrrrred all over the place under braking but suddenly ran almost perfectly smooth even with under the hardest lever pressure.

It tunred out that the discs were slightly warped, but this was only noticable below 10 mph as a gentle grabbing and letting go as you slowed to a stop.

Sold the bike nine months and a track day later with the same discs on and not a hint of judder.

Giles
Old 23-Jun-2004, 17:56
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
Message to Jools rodent 'Stop thowing money at this bike, bite the bullit and buy the 748/9** you really want'

Front judder can be loads of things, (he said with all the technical authority of a grape with the skin removed). Remove the discs and place on your kitchen worktop at home - should be a flat surface - are they really warped? It takes a lot of heavy braking, but I warped a brand new EBC disc on my CB500 in one race - had to return it.

Alternatively Jools.....just ride slower mate...you're obviously going too quick

WeeJohnyB
Old 23-Jun-2004, 20:02
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Thanks for all the replies...helps a lot.

Current plan is to check out Clippy's suggestions - cos as I wrote in an earlier U2U to BDG, one of my mates (yes, I do have some) had that exact same problem on his Prilly Mille.

If it is a warped disc, BDG has some at a good price that I'll have off him

"As you know WJB...Jools loves his ST and wants to keep it as a 'ride-it-all-year-round' bike and for taking Mrs Jools on dirty weekends. He would love a superbike that never see's rough weather (unless caught out in it) and gets used on dry, warm roads and sunny trackdays only and gets polished a lot in between, sad fact is he can't afford it what with daughters wedding impending so until that glorious day arrives the ST will just have to do...and get thrashed mercilessly"

Jools: "Blimey, a sensible reply from the rodent"

"My pleasure Jools...now, get on with it you tight git...just get a 749 and be quick about it, your boring everyone to death with your constant pining for summat quicker"

[Edited on 23-6-2004 by Jools]
Old 23-Jun-2004, 22:05
Ducati Corse

Jools, why dont you spend about £5k and get an ST4S then you can still blitz past people on what is really a comfy 996! Or even spend £3500 and get an ST4 and pretty much the same applies!

Go on, you know it makes sense and its soooooo satisfying to pass the superbikes on a sports tourer!!