Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-Jul-2005, 21:20
500SD

Mood: Double 9, Single 6.

Well now..............

I had my 748 converted to an 853 by Neil at Sigma. I do not regret it one bit. It is an absolute hoot to ride on twisty or fast sweeping roads. You know, the ones that are good fun to ride, I suppose ones that the Ducati 916 was designed to ride on ( Tracks included)

I have the power of a good 916 and have the revy nature of my 748 still, with the higher red line.
On the engine and fairing it stills states 748, so good for the insurance!!!!!!!!

Plus its a good stealth bike. You should get a look at peoples faces when they see whats on the side of the fairing. :P After you have introduced them to Termi power!!
My bike will give any modern/new jap 600 a blast for the money.
in fact, now I have the chassis sort of sussed with Maxton forks and Ohlins rear. I have to say that the bike is pretty awsome to ride. Enough power to go plenty quick on the road, and hold its own.

But I do not intend to sell my bike. So you could say its a ongoing project. I would love to wack a 996 lump in and enjoy the extra footpounds of torque but I reckon I would have no trouble in staying with a 996.

At the end of the day, If you are chasing horsepower then get a ZX10r or DUC 999. Me Im staying with my little 853.
Then again, for a stealth bike, just put a 748 sticker on a 998!!

DC.
Old 12-Jul-2005, 22:14
Big Twin

Mood: Enjoying Togdom !
If you are worried about resale value go for a 996,if your going to keep the bike theres only one choice 890!
123/130 BHP AND MORE TORQUE THAN A 998r .
Butch
Old 12-Jul-2005, 22:25
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
Quote:
Originally posted by DC
but I reckon I would have no trouble in staying with a 996.

DC.
bring it out any time mate.

everyone is talking about how much power you can get out of a 853 but remember that once at that limit you are at the end of the road.
if you have a 996 lump you still have all the possibilities that were available to the 748 engine.
so a 996 with big bore tuned heads cams timed and so on will still be more than a 853 will put out.
that's the rote I took. 118HP with just a chip and pipes. and when the winter comes round (project time) watch out.
Old 13-Jul-2005, 13:00
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Quote:
Originally posted by butch890
If you are worried about resale value go for a 996,if your going to keep the bike theres only one choice 890!
Butch

I agree mate, awesome to ride, but best you don't admit to how much it's cost you eh??
And then the old bugger went and got a baby 'R' as well-complete with full race kit and 138 RWBHP-and that is REALLY awesome to ride.

John
Old 13-Jul-2005, 13:19
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by butch890
Butch

But imagine the results of me spending the same amount of money tuning my 998R as you have on the 890?

Quite frankly it scares me - I'd be too scared to ever open the throttle!
Old 13-Jul-2005, 13:23
Big Twin

Mood: Black and grey (and a bit of red)
As others have either stated or implied, converted bikes are only for those with very deep pockets. You will not recoup any of your investment at resale time, assuming you can sell at all.

If cash is an issue (like most of us !) stick to standard, in this case the 996. You will hardly be disappointed !
Old 13-Jul-2005, 14:31
Ducati Corse

Thing with Nellys conversion is that its fully reversable should you not want to seel it as an 853.
Old 13-Jul-2005, 14:42
Montjuic

After reading all your comments I think the 996 is the way to go.
Old 13-Jul-2005, 14:51
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWestys748
After reading all your comments I think the 996 is the way to go.

An excellent choice sir.

Not wanting to seem like the pushy salesman but can I take this opportunity to remind you that I'm selling mine? No, ok I'll shutup.

The emphasis on moving the 996 has hit home after bringing home it's replacement last night and subsequently speaking to the insurance company's ...

Old 13-Jul-2005, 14:57
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Whatever floats ya boat.

Some like to spend ££££££ on their bike, thats the bit they enjoy rather than riding the thing.

To me a twin is all about getting yer arms pulled out their sockets without reving the nads off the engine!! Effortless overtaking without doing a riverdance on the gear lever.

Rev fests are for IL4s

Ray