Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 09-May-2004, 01:47
Ducati Corse

Quote:
The 996R was hand built with sand cast heads all lovingly put together.
,,, that'll explain why it produces less power Jon
Old 09-May-2004, 11:31
Ducati Corse

Give it a few hundred miles to let everything settle down, change the oil then trash it! I wouldnt have any worries about doing that.
Dont they dyno all the bikes that come out of the factory anyhow?

There is a school of thought that says that bikes that are run in too carefully will make less power than bikes that are thrashed from day one.

I suppose that power could be seen as a measure of engine efficiency as well so if its having a problem then the power would be down.
Old 09-May-2004, 12:48
Mille

Mood: Super (moto!)
"There is a school of thought that says that bikes that are run in too carefully will make less power than bikes that are thrashed from day one. "

And which school, prreecisieyey, did you go to?!
Old 09-May-2004, 13:30
Ducati Corse

AWS - you're on a sticky wicket here. If you buy my bikes for me then you can say how I run them in. Happy that we disagree on the procedure - OK?
Old 09-May-2004, 18:16
Big Twin

Mood: Not so broke any more !!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by aws
"There is a school of thought that says that bikes that are run in too carefully will make less power than bikes that are thrashed from day one. "
That school of theory also says that whilst they might make more power the do so for a shorter lifespan ,hence race bike run in procedure !

I ran my 998bp in by the book seeing as i had spent £10500 on it, & had it run on the Dyno & it makes just what Ducati said it would 112 at the wheel !

Not saying either way is better , but i know which way i would rather run my bikes in !
Old 09-May-2004, 21:38
Mille

Mood: Super (moto!)
Mine is an ex-Ducati Experience Bike.
How much run-in do you think she had?
That posting is due to an excess of either wind or Stella and should be treated with due dis-respect!
Old 13-May-2004, 17:02
Mille

There have been a lot of problems in the USA with excessive piston ring blowby on 998 engines, the cause is not proven BUT it is very likely that not using the full rpm range after about 350-500 miles (albeit not at full throttle) is causing the bores to glaze preventing the rings bedding in.

I work in the motor trade and modern fully synthetic oils are so good that many manufacturers have a first oil change at 10,000 miles! On all my bikes I have started with small throttle openings and progressively increased tha amounbt and duration of throttle opening untill around 1000 miles.
My original 916 is still running well has the same compresion as it had at 500 miles and has no wear on the camshafts.

There are a lot of myths and stories about running in but with modern manufacturing tolerances and synthetic oils you should be able to thrah the bike from mile 1 without too much loss of engine life, In fact bikes that have been abused from day 1 tend to produce more power due to lower friction losses inside the engine

I would not hestiate to buy an ex rental car as long as the service history was up to date even though they are all abused from the moment the first customer takes them out.

dave
Old 13-May-2004, 19:02
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Hey Dave

If you wouldn't hesitate to buy ex rental cars, do you want to buy some of my ex courier vans in that case,
1 carefull owner, 10 careless drivers, FSH, average of 250,000 miles only.

I agree with Dave it's amazing the (ab)use some of these vehicles will take, we had one astra van that didn't have the head off until 300,000 miles. Shame the bodywork, steering and suspension were well shagged by then.

[Edited on 13-5-2004 by BDG]
Old 17-May-2004, 10:46
Montjuic

Henners

136 bhp is perfectly possible for a 998s

I got 136 and 76 ft lbs with a free flow filter, Akrap slip ons and a PC3 - on a dynojet dyno. Fit a 14T front sproket and keep up with the GSXR1000s on the track
Old 18-May-2004, 01:33
Ducati Corse

Cheers Swiss 998 - I'm currently working on Basel Accord II so your thoughts are doubly welcome. The FE just gets stronger and stronger, but now deserves an oil/filter change. Have to say that crusing at 120+ on empty roads is just beautiful ... Termis droning behind you and that feel of Ohlins working below you. France - I love you!