Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 02-Apr-2006, 13:21
500SD

Mood: YELLOW!!!
Cleaning Clutch Plates

Hi,

You may remember that I posted the other day about my 748 slipping clutch and I was advised to take out the plates and clean them.

Being the All England Bolt-Rounder-Offer and Washer- Loser and a pretty **** poor mechanic I just want to make sure of a few things before I begin.

Is it really, as it seems in the Haynes manual, just a case of undoing the springs, taking off the pressure plate, pulling out the pushrod and then taking the plates out?

One thing that I noticed is that the Haynes manual mentions that a new clutch lifter sealing ring (not shown on the exploded diagram BTW) will be needed. If this strictly necessary?

Is there anything else I should know? Anything that Haynes has missed out?

Any tips gleaned from your vast experience would be appreciated.

Thanks as always

[Edited on 2-4-2006 by zhed44]
Old 02-Apr-2006, 14:52

I've just put my clutch back together (ST2), and it really was as simple as you describe. Didn't see any mention of the sealing ring in the Ducati workshop manual, and certainly haven't replaced one.
Old 02-Apr-2006, 19:43

There's really no need to remove the pushrod if you just want to clean the plates but it might come out when you remove the plate.

The most important thing is... DON'T overtorque the bolts when you put the pressure plate back on! Just smear a little Copperslip on the threads and nip them up.

Also, don't breathe in the clutch dust! (obviously...)

Stinkwheel.