Ducati Sporting Club UK
Race
MotoGP / WSB / BSB / Local racing.
*** WARNING*** May contain race results!!

Old 05-Feb-2006, 23:35
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Qatar Testing today - Ellison, Checa, Vermin & Hopper

This Sunday the Suzuki MotoGP and Tech 3 teams continued their preseason plans at Qatar’s Losail Circuit. Tech 3 were also seeing the debut of Carlos Checa on the Dunlop-equipped M1.

The Spanish rider did not wish to evaluate or draw conclusions from this first encounter with the bike, but he recognised the large amount of work that lies ahead. In any case, Checa was enthusiastic about this new challenge for 2006. In addition to the Catalan rider and his teammate James Ellison, John Hopkins and Chris Vermeulen also took to the track, alongside Ducati and Kawasaki’s test riders (Shinichi Ito and Olivier Jacque respectively).

For Suzuki MotoGP the Qatar Test is another chance to continue the prototype’s development. American rider Hopkins completed 60 laps of the circuit, with a best time of 1’58.87- a second faster than his fastest lap in the 2005 Qatar GP. Hopkins also tried out the newest Bridgestone compounds. Chris Vermeulen focused on chasis settings and other specifics of the GSV-R, putting in a 2’00.65 after 67 laps.

Tomorrow the teams taking part in the Test will be joined by the Camel Yamaha team of Valentino Rossi and Colin Edwards in Qatar.

Copyright © 2002 Dorna Sports
Old 06-Feb-2006, 05:10
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

That's good for a first day.

Just had a quick look to see what WSB are doing around Qatar on race tyres...

2005 Qatar WSBK - 26/02/2005:

Lap record: Troy Corser - 2min 1.244secs

So, James is 1.3 faster on similar tyres.

How many Brits could go 1.3 faster than Troy Corser, albeit on a M1 GP bike... and J will get faster yet.

Cool.

...and to think I've kicked his butt :P
Old 06-Feb-2006, 11:02
888 at Last !!!

How much you you think we should be expecting of James this year? I have a high expectation as i'm sure most do. He's been given a mid pack bike, with ok tyres. In retrospect, I would guess that he is expected to be a regular top 10 finisher. This would be above average for the kit he is running.

I'm glad he's building up the speed and I will be cheering him on all the way.
Old 06-Feb-2006, 11:47
Ducati Corse

Mood: Looking for a one way ticket to the 'Ring.
[quote]Originally posted by Dseered
Taken from James on E77...........
I dont know all the times excactly but Carlos was quickest today with a 1:58.3 and then it was Hopper, Itoh, Me, Vermuelen and Olivier Jaques. Edwards and God are out on track tomorrow so we will see how the Dunlop shod Yams compare against Mich.

I like his reference to Rossi. I sure if he can keep his sense of humour, then the fact he has all of our expectations resting on his shoulders should not faze him.

Howay the lads
Old 06-Feb-2006, 17:49
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

I would expect him to to finish top 15 to start.

A few top 10's mid to late season, with maybe a one-off great result somewhere (if it's wet at Donny??)

Remember he's on Dunlops, on a new bike and in a new team (I'm sure there is other stuff to consider too)

I'm not expecting anything amazing, but the fact that he's there on a Yamaha IS amazing anyway.

Nicky Hayden did bugger all for 3 seasons, and he's been on a RCV with Michelins.

James is the best British rider around at the moment, so whatever he does is gunna be better than what anyone else could do. Even Leon couldn't beat an old Spanish bloke in the UK on the same bike.

Come on James!!!
Old 06-Feb-2006, 18:30
Cucciolo
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 848 Evo Corse

Mood: Waiting for the revolution!
Would love to see him top 5 by the end of the season but there are a lot of class riders out there so he would be doing great to get top 10 in reality for a while.
Old 07-Feb-2006, 21:37
Cucciolo
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 848 Evo Corse

Mood: Waiting for the revolution!
Good to see improvements!
Old 08-Feb-2006, 00:02
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Don't you wish you could be him

Anyone else off to Malaysia next week for a trackday? Rattler?

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit