Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-Dec-2004, 12:41
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
If its a good un (which it almost certainly will be!) then £20k is a fair deal IMO....its just such a rare bike.

Is the bike in italy the one with under 1000km on the clock and billet calipers etc..?

I think I mentioned before but I know someone who bought one about 6 years ago and its soared in value.

The only thing I would say, is that I think its one of those bikes which should only be used sparingly as a second toy to keep the mileage down and its condition mint....in the same way a Ferrari enthusiast wouldnt buy a GTO and use it every weekend I guess !

Oh..and like Rob..let me know about the second one as I know someone whos been looking for ages too !

By the way..I picked up a bike book from on outlet village cheapie bookshop for a fiver with a nice write up on the SPS (and other exotics like NR750/NC30 etc)...its called superbikes by Roland Brown..ISBN 1854224026...

Cheers
Nat
Old 24-Dec-2004, 13:00
500SD

Hi guys

The book Nat mentions can be bought at your local Asda. (Saw it only last week).

Beancounter: (RE 851) This bike has been for sale a while now. It looks a good un too!
http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/Bikes%2...cati%20851.htm

Robin: I bought the mag with the (Italy) SPS for sale last week, since I was interested in the MV over the page. I thought this particular bike was the one you were actually looking at. Seems expensive to me @ £20,000 - but what do I know..?? If you're intending to keep it long-term, I guess it'll hold its price (if the mileage is kept down). It's not going to appreciate much beyond that amount though!! If you're looking for a bike to use regularly (and maybe even gain a little on resale), you'd be better off with the SP5 advertised on the same page. £7500 can't be bad. There's little difference in spec. between these machines - and think how much you'd save on initial outlay! (Of course, this is letting the head rule the heart - and that's not always easy to do. At the end of the day, you'll just have to go with your gut feeling).

Steve
Old 24-Dec-2004, 13:56
Big Twin

Mood: Black and grey (and a bit of red)
Thank you weeveetwin.

You got me going for a minute, until I saw the price ! no wonder it's been for sale a while...........

The last Tricolore I saw for sale was in the back pages of Italian Bike magazine and I think it was under 4k - another one missed (sigh).
Old 24-Dec-2004, 14:28
Ducati Meccanica

Rob, U've got a U2U mate.

cheers
robin
Old 24-Dec-2004, 15:53
GTL

Robin

I think £20k would really be top money even for an SPS, and it would have to be absolutely immaculate, low mileage etc. And to be any sort of investment, it'd have to stay that way. As far as I'm concerned, that would put me off riding it much, certainly in the way in which it was intended to be ridden (i.e. hard!). Even if it fell off its stand (let alone get thrown down the road!) you'd probably decimate its value. If you spent the same money on a 999R (not that I'm recommending you do!), at least you could easily put it back to new. As far as investment value goes, it's undoubtedly a valuable bike, but buyers are likely to be thin on the ground. I didn't get any takers for my (admitedly more humble) SP3; have you sold your 851 yet? Jasper had a good offer on his SP5, and I think Nat has had good offers on his 888, but they weren't selling!

Concerning SP2 vs SP3, I thought they were mechanically identical, the SP3 just having upswept pipes, black wheels and a carbon front fender? Engine spec was the same (for which read variable...). But then I'm biased. Incidentally, my SP3 is probably no longer for sale, more on that in the New Year.

Steve - which mag has all the adverts for exotic bikes?

Andrew
Old 24-Dec-2004, 17:42
Ducati Meccanica

Just found an SP5 for £7500.

now where's my company cheque book.
Old 24-Dec-2004, 19:14
Ducati Meccanica

Just got off the phone with the owner off the 2nd SPS in italy, a really nice guy and his english is very good.

From the first pic I've seen it looks really nice, and it is a geniune SPS, with low miles, and some nice goodies to go with it (marelli racing clock assembly etc).
It's never been raced or tracked , unlike most off the other 888SPS's .
He's emailing me some more pics and info, so this looks like a potential purchase if my first choice turns out to be less than A1.
Will need to do some serious haggling with the price though.

oh my god, hope the wife does'nt find out, £££££, she'll go ballastic........, I think some cash for retail therapy will make her see what a good investment it will be.

cheers
robin
Old 24-Dec-2004, 21:28
Ducati Corse

Red SPS,they may have dropped the Ohlins,but the Showas are alot higher spec than the Showas on the standard 888's,and don't blow oil seals every 200m like my SP4 ones did!!!I would go for the SPS if you want a museum piece or an SP5 if you want to ride!!(and live without the overheating engine,blown fork seals and impossible to repair carbon tank!!).Joking aside,i think you will not be dissappointed with either.£7500 is a good price for a good SP5-BUY THEM BOTH!!!-PROBLEM SOLVED!!

[Edited on 24-12-2004 by Jasper]
Old 30-Dec-2004, 13:25
Montjuic

I see the guys put it in MCN this week. I would love 1 but 20K has got to be overpriced
Old 30-Dec-2004, 16:23
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
Simon, Anyone,

Can you please U2U, post details of this guys add?

Many thanks, Rob