Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 17-Sep-2009, 00:44
DSC Club Member
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
New regs for 2010

We are approaching the last races at Cadwell for 2009. I believe within the DD community that races, not the ones that don't have their backside in the saddle going through paddock hill.

We need to start brainstorming tyres and allowances/acceptances throughout the machine.

These bikes are knocking on in years and parts are drying up which makes parts that are available costly and then bidding against racer. There can only be one winner.

So at this early juncture I feel the technically minded amongst us and the not so who might have a thought and not know how to phrase it.

We ought to add to this thread the way forward, ZR tyres etc more choice of vendors. We all know its not Pirelli making us use HR. But there are a host of other issues so lets collate them and get them in the mixing pot early, instead of 2 weeks before next season race start.
Old 17-Sep-2009, 08:23
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
We are approaching the last races at Cadwell for 2009. I believe within the DD community that races, not the ones that don't have their backside in the saddle going through paddock hill.

We need to start brainstorming tyres and allowances/acceptances throughout the machine.

These bikes are knocking on in years and parts are drying up which makes parts that are available costly and then bidding against racer. There can only be one winner.

So at this early juncture I feel the technically minded amongst us and the not so who might have a thought and not know how to phrase it.

We ought to add to this thread the way forward, ZR tyres etc more choice of vendors. We all know its not Pirelli making us use HR. But there are a host of other issues so lets collate them and get them in the mixing pot early, instead of 2 weeks before next season race start.

Good idea on the technical side, think Skids may be covering off most of that side, as for the tyres, that is a bit of a sticky problem(no pun intended)
the biggest problem there is having a tyre that is both good in the dry and be able to be used in the wet, but this being the biggest problem, we have to have a letter of suitability from the manufacturer.
I am not sure what the state of play on tyres for next season is, drop a pm to Gordon Parkeras he id the DD MT member.

One thing to remember when voicing ideas for DD is that the "B" is entry level/cheap racing.

Chris
Old 17-Sep-2009, 09:38
DSC Club Member
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.p
Good idea on the technical side, think Skids may be covering off most of that side, as for the tyres, that is a bit of a sticky problem(no pun intended)
the biggest problem there is having a tyre that is both good in the dry and be able to be used in the wet, but this being the biggest problem, we have to have a letter of suitability from the manufacturer.
I am not sure what the state of play on tyres for next season is, drop a pm to Gordon Parkeras he id the DD MT member.

One thing to remember when voicing ideas for DD is that the "B" is entry level/cheap racing.

Chris

We keep hearing of this letter, has anyone actually seen it?
Scan it and show it to the members.
Old 17-Sep-2009, 10:03
Big Twin

Mood: Waiting for the change (Not the menopause)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
We keep hearing of this letter, has anyone actually seen it?
Scan it and show it to the members.

You know I never thought of that and a very good idea.
Old 17-Sep-2009, 10:16
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Come October the 5th the day after the last race of the season start sending in your ideas there is a 4 week window to send ideas /proposals/etc to desmodue@ducatisportingclub.com, these will automatically go to the members of the RC including the Riders reps. These ideas will then be looked at and worthwhile ones followed up on.

Last year I sent in loads of suggestions with my reasons and information to suoport them, many of which were taken up.

One of my views is if you can't Police it the rule can prove to be worthless
Issues on the table for next years rule book should include among them

Tyres
Class B pistons
Class B ignition modules
Rider eligability for each class
Reinstating the rule allowing the use of Carburetors on Class A bikes

If you think a rule is unfair/incorrect please let us know and it can be looked at

2.1.9 Changes to these Rules

It is the intention that the rules should be fixed no later than the 1st of March each year.

All riders are to be given the opportunity to input to the following seasons rules, after the finish of the last race of the year and the 5th of November of that year.

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 17-Sep-2009, 10:39
Mille

Rules should be sorted out by Christmas at the latest. Sending out the regs by March is not the way to go about things. Why is it all other race series know excatly the rules for the following season, well in advance of the season actually starting.
Rant over, I'll get my coat.

QUOTE=skidlids]Come October the 5th the day after the last race of the season start sending in your ideas there is a 4 week window to send ideas /proposals/etc to desmodue@ducatisportingclub.com, these will automatically go to the members of the RC including the Riders reps. These ideas will then be looked at and worthwhile ones followed up on.

Last year I sent in loads of suggestions with my reasons and information to suoport them, many of which were taken up.

One of my views is if you can't Police it the rule can prove to be worthless
Issues on the table for next years rule book should include among them

Tyres
Class B pistons
Class B ignition modules
Rider eligability for each class
Reinstating the rule allowing the use of Carburetors on Class A bikes

If you think a rule is unfair/incorrect please let us know and it can be looked at

2.1.9 Changes to these Rules

It is the intention that the rules should be fixed no later than the 1st of March each year.

All riders are to be given the opportunity to input to the following seasons rules, after the finish of the last race of the year and the 5th of November of that year.[/quote]
Old 17-Sep-2009, 10:55
Mille
Bikes: Multistraddle S, Cucciolo

Mood: Blown away!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.p

Hear, hear. One vote here for keeping Class B changes to an absolute minimum in the interests of existing riders not wanting to spend ££ over the winter to remain competitive. Maybe, to help with purchase and investment decisions, the rules could include a future year when it is envisgaed that Class B in its present form will cease to exist and be replaced by a new Class using 620's or whatever. Unless several years notice are given, it will never be the right time to introduce significant change.

Oh, and I like the current tyres...
Old 17-Sep-2009, 11:06
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by injected
Hear, hear. One vote here for keeping Class B changes to an absolute minimum in the interests of existing riders not wanting to spend ££ over the winter to remain competitive. Maybe, to help with purchase and investment decisions, the rules could include a future year when it is envisgaed that Class B in its present form will cease to exist and be replaced by a new Class using 620's or whatever. Unless several years notice are given, it will never be the right time to introduce significant change.

Oh, and I like the current tyres...

Well put sir!

Always open to suggestions, but I would think that there is not a lot that needs doing to the Current Class B rules for 2010.

The question of how long these bikes can be kept on track is an interesting one. From memory I think we have had only 1 engine blow up since the start of the series - they are in that low level of tune that they are not stressed.

Perhaps it may be an idea to say that the existing 583 bikes will be raced for 2010/2011 and then retired - but all concerned would have to realise that at the end of 2011 the bikes would probably be worthless.

If in 2011/2012 there was a move to make Class A the new novice class - then in theory we would need to look at Class C. This has been mooted before and the obvious choice might be to introduce the 696 Monster as the class machine. With them having been on the market for a couple of years there should be a supply of 2nd hand machines at reasonable cost and people can have time to buy and prep them.

I rode one at Cadwell on the trackday and it was a super machine and in fact more fun than the 1100S.

Anyway suggestions greatfully received and will be reviewed after the last race.
Old 17-Sep-2009, 11:20
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBushell
Well put sir!

Always open to suggestions, but I would think that there is not a lot that needs doing to the Current Class B rules for 2010.

The question of how long these bikes can be kept on track is an interesting one. From memory I think we have had only 1 engine blow up since the start of the series - they are in that low level of tune that they are not stressed.

Perhaps it may be an idea to say that the existing 583 bikes will be raced for 2010/2011 and then retired - but all concerned would have to realise that at the end of 2011 the bikes would probably be worthless.

If in 2011/2012 there was a move to make Class A the new novice class - then in theory we would need to look at Class C. This has been mooted before and the obvious choice might be to introduce the 696 Monster as the class machine. With them having been on the market for a couple of years there should be a supply of 2nd hand machines at reasonable cost and people can have time to buy and prep them.

I rode one at Cadwell on the trackday and it was a super machine and in fact more fun than the 1100S.

Anyway suggestions greatfully received and will be reviewed after the last race.

I think you are a bit out of touch with engine blow ups Chris! Sam west has blown at least 2 & a couple of 620 have let go, having said that in general they are very reliable.

No reason why they shouldn't be still racing in fifty years time plenty of bikes that age still on track that are no were near as good as our little Desmos.
Old 17-Sep-2009, 12:05
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C
Rules should be sorted out by Christmas at the latest. Sending out the regs by March is not the way to go about things. Why is it all other race series know excatly the rules for the following season, well in advance of the season actually starting.
Rant over, I'll get my coat.

Here are some of the dates of last years process

Version 1 First draft 22/10/08
version 2 second go 3/11/08
Version 3 Third attempt 25/11/08
Version 3.1 5/12/08
Version 3.2 19/12/08

The reason for the March date is that the DD rule book also incorporates rules from the ACU handbook and this is not issued until Feb/March time
Ideally next years versions will cut these out, such things as number and background sizes and Noise limits
The Phase "to comply with current ACU regulations" should surfice

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook