Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 02-Jul-2004, 10:33
everton

Quote:
Originally posted by weeksy
hmmmmm not what i've seen done before. Not sure on the actual consequences...

However if a bike shop had fitted lines like that to my bike they'd have had the keys back and a slap in the face to follow.

Weeksy..........don't you mean a scouse kiss ...
Old 02-Jul-2004, 10:36
Ducati Corse

Mood: is it still wet
bloody ell.....looks like u got brake lines from a Semi.??
Old 02-Jul-2004, 13:20
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Now I could be wrong here, so don't slap me right...But Les, I think you've got the wrong brake lines here and because of that, you've actually fitted them upside down.

Here's my thinking. My bike has ordinary Brembo Goldlines, at the caliper end the thread to take the bleed nipple is vertical and comes out of the top of the caliper. Therefore, you need a 90 degree banjo at the caliper end to direct the lines straight up the forks. At the master cylinder end, one of the banjo's is straight, the other is a 30 degree one, so that it just splays out to clear the straight one.

From memory (and this is where I think I could be wrong), the 4 pad Brembos bleed nipple exits from the side of the caliper, so that you need a straight banjo at the caliper end to point the lines in the right direction. So what you need under those circumstances is one brake line with a straight banjo on each end, and one with a straight banjo and one 30 degree one (so that you get the straight/30degree arrangement at the master cylinder).

So, I reckon they've made up lines for the standard Goldlines, so that when you come to fit them to 4 pads, you would think it's pretty obvious that you don't fit the 90 degree banjos on the calipers otherwise they'd be sticking out like dumbos ears, so you would naturally fit the straight ones to the calipers, leaving you with a distinctly wrong fitment at the master cylinder.
Old 02-Jul-2004, 13:37
Mille

Mood: :-0
Hi Jools

Had these made up by Earls especially for a 996 with 4pads.
The bottoms are correct 20 degree banjo's, unfortunately, even though I thought straight up at the top would be ideal - they said 90's are better for taking up slight slack

Have now spoken to them and they are making up some new ones with 20's at bottom and straight/20 at top. Line 1 will be 580mm and line 620mm (for possible future reference for anyone else).

I will let you know if they fit...

Les
Old 02-Jul-2004, 13:39
Mille
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Enjoying a REAL summer!
Sounds About Right...

...that Jools!

I've got a twin line set up on mine with standard Goldlines, but the lines are designed for 4-pads.

This means that the caliper end of the line has a straight banjo on it and the lines run back at the radiator fairly sharply when fitted to standard calipers.

I do, however, have a set of 4-Pads in a box in the garage that I need to get around to fitting (once I've finished refitting the kitchen) so all should be well at that point.

I'll take a couple of photos and post them up tonight/tomorrow for you to use for reference, and these should show what Jools has described.

Giles

[Edited on 3-7-2004 by Clippy]
Old 02-Jul-2004, 13:39
Bevel Head

Mood: Neutral - but only maybe. 1994 Duc 916S1, 2006 Duc Sportclassic 1000 Sport
I agree with Jools on this one. The lines at the top should go vertically down to the right of the rev counter not across. The straight and 30 deg banjos definately should be fitted at the top out of the master cylinder. In fact one of my lines just rubs on the foam round the rev counter when on hard left lock.

Not certain what the bottom fittings should be for four pad Brembos as my 916 has the old type two pad goldlines. I use a alloy line spacer under the front of the nose fairing to stop the lines floating about to much at the bottom

I would certainly take the lines back and get them changed
Old 02-Jul-2004, 15:37
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Here's a pic of the bike and you can see the lines run straight down from the m/cyl.

These were made specifically for the bike, they couldn't really be any shorter and still fit though I reckon.

Tim
Old 02-Jul-2004, 15:39
Mille

Rough measurement of the long one is a whoppinggg....850mm (600 could have done it)

At least they are making up new ones and getting to me asap.

Les :P
Old 03-Jul-2004, 09:11
Mille

fitted the 580 and 620 lines to my p4's last night....
perfect fit

Will go and test them out this morning to see the difference over the 2 pad version...

Les

ps will be heading past bedford area about 9.45ish
if anyone is about...