Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 21-Mar-2005, 17:18
Mille

Mood: Mildly reckless...
Really?

Well I never

So is this rather lumpy clutch action normal?
Old 21-Mar-2005, 17:22
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
There is no cable as has been said, lumpy? can you expand on this?

Could be quite a few things, could be clutch plates and the basket where the teeth have mashed again the basket creating notches and causing engagement/disengagement problems for one.
Old 21-Mar-2005, 17:52
Mille

No problem: -

As I remember it, when I was changing down a gear (not particularly high revs) the clutch lever appeared to almost release in stages.

It was this that lead me to wonder whether it was snagging in the cable sleeve.

I have had the bike since June last year and only done about a couple of thou, but have always felt the clutch was far more agricultural than my GSXR600 which was a smooth as silk.

The guy at Ducati Leeds told me that this is quite normal...

It doesn't appear to slip or baulk when going either up or down the box, and like all bikes, the changes are better with more load than without, it is just an unusual sensation.

Does this help or do I need to invest in the services of St Neots Ducati?

Any help always appreciated!
Old 21-Mar-2005, 17:58
BSB Star

Well could be the typical slipper action as described above, but could quite easily be the basket and is worn slightly.

If you have never stripped the clutch it is pretty bullet proof, and unless your really messy you should be able to take it apart easily, and inspect the basket and plates.

How many miles has the bike done? or should I ask how many miles has the clutch done?
Old 21-Mar-2005, 18:08
Mille

The bike has done 4,800 and I got it at 3,300.

If the original tyres were anything to go by (very square) then the bike hasn't had a particularly hard life so far.

If I were to have a tinker with the clutch, is there anything obvoius that I should be looking at/for?

Clutches have always confused me (along with automatic gearboxes) and despite pouring over howthingswork.com I've never fully understood them - which becomes obvoius when I didn't realise I'd got a hydraulic clutch!
Old 21-Mar-2005, 18:17
BSB Star

Just take your time, make sure you have the correct tools, including one of those magnetic telescopic arms, helps to get the plates out.

There are no fluids, so nothing to worry about there, make sure you keep everything in the right order, keep the friction and steel plates in the right order and position.

Might be worth investing in a haynes manual, I know they don't do one for a 748R, but basic generic stuff will be in there
Old 21-Mar-2005, 18:28
Mille

Hmmm....

Have got one of those Ducati workshop manuals (off of eBay) which will hopefully help.

What can I expect to see if its shot, other than knackered plates and lots of dust?
Old 21-Mar-2005, 18:42
BSB Star

Have a look at this (nicked this from one of Shazaam's posts)

As you can see the basket is heavily worn, your plates will be similar also, as the plates ride up and down the basket via the clutch lever because of the worn teeth you will feel a snag in the lever as the plates catch the worn areas.

You can do one of two things here, either file the worn areas back which is the cheap option, you can only do this once or twice, or replace the basket and probably the plates also.
Old 25-Mar-2005, 19:20
Mille

Brilliant, thanks JPM.