Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 23-Nov-2005, 13:53
Mille

Mood: whatever!
Light Weight Flywheel

I've seen advertised a billet lightweight flywheel for a 748 that is apparently 1.5kgs lighter than standard.

The claim is that the motor will rev quicker and will make a 'massive' difference in performance.

Is this the case or is it a bit of a gimmick? What are the advantages and disadvantages of fitting one.

Also is it relatively easy to fit bearing in mind that my engine will soon be out of the bike?

Regards Frazelli
Old 23-Nov-2005, 14:07
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Corse race engines run a lightened flywhell as standard, yes they will help the engine spin up quicker and hence build power faster, they will also make the bike more pron to stalling unless you run the tickover at the right level as there is less stored momentum in the crankshaft assembly.
Light weight clutch baskets are also a improvement.
Just replaced the Corse steel one on my 955 engine with a Ally Billet one so I can add a starter system. The Billet one along with sprag clutch assembley etc, weighs about the same as the original Corse one
Old 23-Nov-2005, 14:11
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
I removed mine from my 748sp engine and really liked it.
you do have to raise the tick over though but at the time I remember telling my mate. "its like its had an injection of steroids"
now be careful though. what type of engine do you have ?
because the early two phase alternator models can lose the flywheel altogether. saving you some money.
with regard to how easy it is. depends how confident you are ?
if you are dropping the engine out I wouldn't think you will find it to difficult
Old 23-Nov-2005, 14:23
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Got a lightened flywheel on my 4S ( 996 ) - great mod, spins up quicker & feels sharper....
Old 23-Nov-2005, 14:43
Mille

Mood: whatever!
Keefer,

The bike is a 1999 748B.

In terms of confidence this is the first time I've done something like this which I am due to start in the next couple of weeks!

Having said that I am relatively OK with a spanner in my hand but certainly no mechanic!
Old 23-Nov-2005, 16:21
500SD

Mood: Come on spring!!!
flywheel

To remove the standard flywheel youd need to be pretty handy with the spanners and need a couple of special tools,
To get the alternator casin off to avoid levering and damaging the casing you need an extracting tool which u can buy, ur knock together urself which i have, consists of a piece of flat plate, with a 10mm tapped hole in centre, and 2 6mm holes either side to pick up the 2 6mm bolt holes were the inspection cover sits, then you just wind a 10mm bolt to the end of the crank and pop it off!

Then you will need a crank holding tool when you come to remove the flywheel! Thats after drainign all the coolant and oil!
Old 23-Nov-2005, 19:40
Mille

Had a lightened fly wheel fitted to the Multi, made a huge noticable difference, Deff spins up quicker, quicker responce on the throttle

Intresting to read about having to increase the tickover, have had an intermittant stalling problem ever since it was fitted, allways when i come to a rapid stop, the rev counter just drops all the way, does,nt even falter first.
Old 23-Nov-2005, 20:04
Big Twin

Funnily enough I was just reading about lightened flywheels this morning. This is from an Australian website thats well worth a look as he has tried allsorts of tuning mods to various Ducatis.

The site is Moto-one.com.au

LIGHTWEIGHT FLYWHEELS FOR DUCATI MODELS ***UPDATED***

A modification aimed at those who need a little more response and drive out of corners, this works well on bikes that see the track or fast work on twisty roads often. The reduced rotating weight of the engine lets the engine and therefore the rest of the bike accelerate a little quicker. Coming out of turn 12 at Phillip Island is a good example, where good speed down the straight is based on drive out of this corner.

The new alternator design that came with the 1998 onward model bikes is quite a bit heavier than the older design, with all that weight spinning on the end of the crank. Although we can’t do anything with the alternator magnet assembly, the flywheel which mounts the magnet to the crank can be machined down or replaced with an aluminium replica. The standard flywheel on all the fuel injected bikes ( 2V and 4V ) weighs approximately 1900 g. We have machined them down to 990 g, with an aluminium replica from Ducati Performance coming in at around 660 g. Quite a big difference.

****UPDATE : We have unfortunately had an issue with the Ducati Performance lightweight flywheel that makes me withdraw my recommendation of its use in the post 98 models. These models have the late alternator set up, where the flywheel is splined onto the crank. Although the lightweight flywheels are hard anodized aluminium, the alloy splines that locate on the crank may not be up to the task. One we fitted to a 996 has stripped out the splines, letting the flywheel spin around the crank. In itself, this was not a big issue, as the nut was still tight and the bits of alloy taken off can’t get out and into the engine.

The issue is that these Ducati Performance parts come with no warranty. None whatsoever. This flywheel is not very old, and the man who paid for it is not altogether happy about having to pay for a replacement. I will certainly not fit any more. For this bike we will fit an original steel flywheel that has been machined down to around 900 grams. Still a reduction of nearly 1 kg, and only 250 or so grams heavier than the alloy piece. For these late alternator models we will recommend this is the future, or an aftermarket piece that uses a steel centre section. The STM piece fits this description, and is around $350.

The older flywheel outer from the 748/916 model is much heavier. This can be removed totally on these models, making a big difference to the response and the feel of the engine. Enough to make them somewhat annoying around town with the increase of engine braking and the way the engine wants to stall sometimes. Okay once you get used to it, but that depends on what you deem acceptable. An aluminium replica replacement is available to put some weight back on if needed. Just costs some more

The ‘98 onward models can only get rid of about 1300 g at most. This makes less difference than I was expecting ( dreading ), given problems we have had in the past with another model. There is none of the negatives that comes with the 916 mod described above, just more response to throttle opening. For those whose riding style and usage can take advantage of the increase in response, the benefits will be very obvious. For those who don’t use the throttle hard and often ( we need to be honest here ) or need to come out of corners hard, it may not be worth the expense. The flywheel is around $300 to buy, plus a couple of hours labour to fit. Not cheap to many people. It just depends what your priorities are.

As the flywheel on the carby models carry the signal lugs for the ignition pick ups, removing the flywheel outer is not an option here. Aluminium replacement flywheels are available from Ducati Performance and other sources to suit these models. For a bike such as a Superlight that can never carry a passenger, a lightweight flywheel is a real performance addition. Suitability of this mod, once again, really depends on the type of riding you do.
Old 23-Nov-2005, 20:05
Big Twin

A link to the site

http://moto-one.com.au/performance/
Old 25-Nov-2005, 00:57
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
i had my flywheel removed when i had my 853 kit fitted. it has made a difference but will not be any good if you ride around town and through lots of traffic. mine doesnt stall at all unless i havent warmed the engine up,once the engines upto full running temperature its not a problem

deej