Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 05-Apr-2004, 20:13
Bevel Head

Wheelies

I know that they are not clever and are illegal, but I want to do them!!!

For the life of me I cant. Even after changing the gearing..

What is the best way to do em folks?

Got a 996 Bip, dropped one on front and put one on back sprocket..
Old 05-Apr-2004, 20:17
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: '01 Ducati 748R and '04 Mille RSVR

Mood: Awaiting the arrival of the sun and the disappearance of the rain
Mork calling Chillo, Mork calling Chillo, come in Chillo.

Chillo is your man Lloydy.....I'm sure he'll be along soon to advise, no doubt on the back wheel as he types

I'm in the same boat as you mate so will leave it to an expert
Old 05-Apr-2004, 20:21
Bevel Head

Well I am glad to hear that I am not alone.

Have had the occaisional little one off r/bouts in second.

Had a big 'pop up' yesterday, thought I was in 2nd, but was in first of a r/bout.. Shat meeself!!

I think that that is half the problem, I am scared...
Old 05-Apr-2004, 21:46
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Chillo\'s deffo your man, but failing that.....

........wheelie school?

Tim
Old 05-Apr-2004, 22:56
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Piece of **** mate...

The best way to learn to wheelie is to start small and get used to the feeling of the bike coming up. No big heroics and you won't come off the back.

Remember that there are two ways to put the wheel down - by letting off the throttle or by hitting the back brake. Or by running out of revs. Ok, so that's three ways. But nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

To get the front wheel in the air is also really easy when you know how. Listen very carefully, I shall say zis only once...

Ride along in first, about 20-30mph, around 6,000rpm or thereabouts.

Now in one swift movement you need to "cough" the throttle fully open.

Give it a try ..... *cough*+twist

You should now feel the wheel start to come off the floor under power.

Don't worry, it was nowhere near as high as you thought it was and you had the back brake covered, didn't you. Didn't you?

Keep practising the cough technique and you'll soon get it higher and higher until you find the balance point. The hardest part is to get your head around bringing the wheel up in the first place.

Once you've mastered getting up, getting the distance is the next trick. You need to flutter the throttle to keep the engine on the edge of keeping the wheel in the air without accelerating too much.... but you'll get the hang of it!

Just ask Desmondo, he'll tell you what a great wheelie merchant I am
Old 05-Apr-2004, 23:16
Mille

Mood: Shiney
OK OK, ther are two types of wheelie the one Antonye describes and a real wheelie where you ride along on the back whell changing gear as you go till you decide to put the front wheel down, usualy because theres a roundabout or a sharpish corner.

Three big tips firstly you need to able to change gear swiftly and smoothly with no clutch, if you dont change up the box using this method start now and do it for every day riding till it becomes second nature.
Secondly the balance point is bigger than you think as in a margin of some 15 degreess or so, on a Ducati you should need to stretch your neck slightly to see over the top of the screen, thats how high you need to get.
This is the biggie and will make all the difference, sit towards the back of the seat and fairly upright with your hand on the throttle in its normal position roll it forward slightly, about an eight of a turn.
The reason for this is when you grab a handfull of throttle say half to two thirds it leaves your arms balanced and straight giving you better control of the throttle and better balance.

It took me five or six months to get it right so be patient. when you do your first proper wheelie lifting in first shifting to second then third and riding on a constant throttle as if on two wheels and putting it down when you want the buzz is awesome.
Old 05-Apr-2004, 23:33
GTL

Mood: me in a mood? NEVER!
not the best bike to be doing them on, there is a wheelie day you can go on but its on a 1200 bandit. worth going on if you like that sort of thing.
Old 05-Apr-2004, 23:51
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
Then when you've finished practising your wheelies you can clean off all the oil thats been coming out of your crankcase breather
Old 05-Apr-2004, 23:56
Mille

Mood: childish
wheelies are big And clever!!

all the above is v. usefull.

another way, when you've got a nice grunty twin, is to be rolling along in 2nd, lightly dip the clutch and suimultainiously roll on the throttle. this will raise the front smoothly,
1st tends to be a bit jerky/twitchy,
using this method you can start small & build up height & distance
uphill wheelies are easier
practice on off road bikes (less painfull/expensive/heart breaking if it goes pear!!)
if you can find anyone brave enough, get em on the back, it helps bring the balance point down.
im using the same gearing as you llloydy,start small & build up slowly, but be carefull where you do em, they are well addictive!!
good luck
Old 06-Apr-2004, 00:06
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
The Ducati clutch isn't the best for wheelies as it tends to be quite grabby and sometimes quite hit and miss (literally!)

Just get out there and practise is all I say!