Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 13-Jan-2009, 18:08
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
Ah well, that's the last MotoGP I'll be going to for a while. I've ridden Silverstone many a time and although too wide and too flat, it's a great circuit - fast and flowing apart from the Mickey mouse chicane (do you think MotoGP will stand for this crappy corner- I suspect they will do the old circuit) and I don't think they let us mere mortals use the full Abbey corner (could have the name wrong) as it's very fast knee down on a bike - awesome. I much prefer Donny as a riders track and it's a favourite of Rossi and many others (in the dry that is).

However, we all know Silverstone is dreadful for watching - just too far from the action. In saying that, it's a great atmosphere if you are in the section from Bridge as you get to see one of the best bits of the track for overtaking and it's close to the end of the lap and it's a bit lieka football/rugby crowd atmosphere, bit like Brands, just a bit too far away to see the bikes close up. I like some others, respect families and campers want different things to me, but I want to 'see' the racing, smell the bikes, hear the engines, see the slides etc - watching Shakey on the 'Prilla' at Foggy Esses as he wrestled with that machine was a sight to be seen -you could see him twist the throttle, change his feet position, change gear, come out of the corner still lent over but on one wheel leaving a darkie and hear the 'boom' as he changed gear, utterly awesome every time he came around - at Silverstone, you'd be lucky to tell if the rider is on a Honda or Suzuki. And to top it all, I'll have to watch it on the BBC with their second rate commentary.

Ah well, that's progress

WeeJohnyB
Old 15-Jan-2009, 01:28
The Webteam
DSC Club Rep
Webteam
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: A Virtual Ducati

Silverstone clinches MotoGP in 2010

JUST TO CONFIRM..........

MADONNA DI CAMPIGLIO, ITALY, JAN 13:

The British Grand Prix will abandon Donington Park and return to the Silverstone Circuit after an absence of 22 years.

The announcement came as something of a surprise since Donington has just received approval to embark on a multi-million dollar upgrade that would transform both the racing circuit and the paddock infrastructure. Furthermore, the transformation will allow Formula One to race at Donington Park, rather than their traditional home at Silverstone.
Donington Park has long been criticized for its aging infrastructure, lack of suitable parking, and traffic nightmares. Silverstone, having been homologated as an F-1 circuit for years, is a much more modern facility.
Silverstone was once a great race track, with long, fast corners. But it’s been gradually transformed into a less exciting facility, with the final near stop turns sequence likely to need a fix for MotoGP.

The full release follows:

Silverstone Circuits Limited has signed a five year agreement with Dorna Sports, the commercial and television rights holder for MotoGP, which will see the Northamptonshire circuit host the British Grand Prix from 2010.
Having hosted MotoGP between 1977 and 1986, Silverstone is no stranger to the top flight of two-wheeled sport, and the classic battle of 1979 between Kenny Roberts and Barry Sheene is one which sticks in many an older fan’s memory.

Richard Phillips, Managing Director of Silverstone Circuits Limited, is thrilled to see top flight motorcycle racing back on the calendar at the Home of British Motor Racing. Phillips commented, “Silverstone is the UK’s premier motor racing venue and we are thoroughly looking forward to hosting the world’s premier motorcycle racing event from 2010. We have worked closely with Dorna Sports to bring MotoGP to Silverstone and both parties are extremely excited about the opportunity to take this world-class event to another level.
“Silverstone is a unique UK race circuit; rich in heritage and unrivalled in terms of what we are able to offer fans, championships and teams. The Grand Prix circuit offers a combination of high speed straights and technical corners, presenting a real challenge to the riders, while the facilities for teams and spectators are second to none.

“The circuit is also recognised as being one of the most easily accessible in the world. All of these factors, along with Silverstone’s vast experience of hosting world class international events, contributed to MotoGP coming to Silverstone.”
Dorna Sports CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta stated: “We are delighted that the MotoGP World Championship is returning to Silverstone as of 2010. The venue has excellent facilities and a circuit with a great heritage, having hosted some superb Grand Prix racing in the 1970s and 1980s. We are sure that MotoGP’s visits to the UK will continue to be highly successful when we make the historic move back to Silverstone next year.”

If you experience any problems or have suggestions on improvements whilst visiting our website, please contact the Webteam by Personal Message or by emailing us.

Last edited by webteam : 15-Jan-2009 at 03:18.
Old 15-Jan-2009, 03:06
Mille

Mood: counting down to mad sunday
Silverstone - paid to watch racing there once, never again. Nothing to do with the dismal weather at the Bike GP in 86 when Garner won in fine style, its just flat and boring.
Donington used be OK (Transatlantic '86+'87, and early years of WSB, when you could sit on the concrete walls almost at trackside) then H&S went barmy and the fences moved back far enough to require the purchase of a 2x converter for my zoom lens.
Living only 70miles from Donington we used to set off at 6 and be at trackside for 7, watch the full program, chill out till the queues and plod had dispersed then ride carefully home on clear roads.
Only been once in recent years, to see and hear the first visit of the desmosedici.

All our Motorcycle World Championship rounds should be at Brands, or back on the Isle of Man.
Old 15-Jan-2009, 08:28
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeJohnyB
...I don't think they let us mere mortals use the full Abbey corner (could have the name wrong) as it's very fast knee down on a bike - awesome.

Blimey, really?
Abbey, flat out left before Bridge, used that bit the one and only time I've ridden Silverston back in 2004... loved it, one of only two good corners on the whole gp track imho. Shame if it's had a nasty h&s sticker planted on it.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit