Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Apr-2009, 17:24
888 at Last !!!

Mood: make poverty history - cheaper Dukes now!
748 fuel light...

is on permanently. guess theres a sender in the tank, or is part of the fuel pump?
anything I can hit with a hammer to make it work proper

bulb out ATM, but would like to sort it.

any ideas?
Old 20-Apr-2009, 18:34
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
Yes the sender is intergrated with the pump and filter unit. Tape over the light and use the trip meter to monitor your miles before filling up after 100 miles or what ever you feel safe at . 4D
Old 20-Apr-2009, 19:09
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
My fuel light's permanently on too, I'm going by the trip meter 'til I can sort it.

The level sensor is part of the pump assembly, but only to the extent that it bolts onto it. It can be replaced separately but I think they're quite expensive to buy new, and if you get a second hand one then that could be dodgy too. I'm reluctant to buy a new one in case the fault lies somewhere else!
Old 20-Apr-2009, 19:47
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Low Fuel Warning Circuit Troubleshooting

Troubleshooting an erratic low fuel light is pretty simple. A faulty fuel level sensor is usually the problem but an intermittent short circuit in the wiring or connectors could also be the problem.

If the light fails to come on when you first turn the ignition key, the bulb itself is burned out.

The electrical circuit is a simple one. The fuel level warning light becomes lit when the fuel level sensor (switch) closes the circuit allowing current to flow through the sensor to the light and then to ground to complete the circuit.

So, a problem in the wiring or connectors will bypass the sensor (short circuit.)

But, since erratic behavior of the fuel level sensor is quite common it should be the first suspect. Ducati has tried a number of different sensor and connector designs and changed vendor sources over the years in an attempt to improve reliability. Consequently, if you have to replace a fuel level sensor on an early year bike, it's probably best to replace it with a unit made for a later year even though this will sometimes require changing the connector type.

There are two small pinholes on the side of the sensor that lets the fuel in/out. Try using compressed air to clean out the holes.

A faulty sensor will continuously, or intermittently, stick open or closed.

If the light stays on, either the sensor switch is stuck closed, or there is a short circuit that has bypassed the sensor.

So for example, the warning light may come on prematurely due to fuel sloshing, and stay on due to a sticking sensor even though there is an adequate fuel reserve in the tank. Or, an intermittent short circuit will cause the same behavior.

Similarly, the warning light may extinguish due to fuel sloshing, and stay off due to a sticking sensor even though there is a low fuel reserve. Or, an intermittent open circuit will cause the same behavior. Or the indicator lamp is burned out.

But the only way to be sure is to use your service manual and a multimeter and check it out yourself or take it to your dealer.

First, disconnect the wire harness under the tank. The two smaller wires are the low-fuel dash light signal. Short them together and if the light comes on, the sender is faulty.
Old 21-Apr-2009, 10:12
888 at Last !!!

Mood: make poverty history - cheaper Dukes now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazaam!
Troubleshooting an erratic low fuel light is pretty simple. A faulty fuel level sensor is usually the problem but an intermittent short circuit in the wiring or connectors could also be the problem.

If the light fails to come on when you first turn the ignition key, the bulb itself is burned out.

The electrical circuit is a simple one. The fuel level warning light becomes lit when the fuel level sensor (switch) closes the circuit allowing current to flow through the sensor to the light and then to ground to complete the circuit.

So, a problem in the wiring or connectors will bypass the sensor (short circuit.)

But, since erratic behavior of the fuel level sensor is quite common it should be the first suspect. Ducati has tried a number of different sensor and connector designs and changed vendor sources over the years in an attempt to improve reliability. Consequently, if you have to replace a fuel level sensor on an early year bike, it's probably best to replace it with a unit made for a later year even though this will sometimes require changing the connector type.

There are two small pinholes on the side of the sensor that lets the fuel in/out. Try using compressed air to clean out the holes.

A faulty sensor will continuously, or intermittently, stick open or closed.

If the light stays on, either the sensor switch is stuck closed, or there is a short circuit that has bypassed the sensor.

So for example, the warning light may come on prematurely due to fuel sloshing, and stay on due to a sticking sensor even though there is an adequate fuel reserve in the tank. Or, an intermittent short circuit will cause the same behavior.

Similarly, the warning light may extinguish due to fuel sloshing, and stay off due to a sticking sensor even though there is a low fuel reserve. Or, an intermittent open circuit will cause the same behavior. Or the indicator lamp is burned out.

But the only way to be sure is to use your service manual and a multimeter and check it out yourself or take it to your dealer.

First, disconnect the wire harness under the tank. The two smaller wires are the low-fuel dash light signal. Short them together and if the light comes on, the sender is faulty.

thanks for that - will have a look soon as I can. got a 916 pump in the (SS)tank on my DD bike thinking of it - maybe could use that sensor?