Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 06-May-2004, 13:08
Big Twin

Tyres

Just wondered what tyres you lot are fitting. Are you sticking with the Scorpion Syncs or trying other makes.

I am off to France in 2 weeks and will probably cover 2500-3000 miles, I have only done 1200 miles on the MS from new but looking at the rear tyre I am not confident on it lasting the distance I need it to. I have only had one quote so far for a rear scorpion at £152 fitted but I know I can have a pair of Diablos for not much more. There is plenty of life left in the front tyre. I always used to fit Bridgestone 010s to my 996s and could never fault them, as anyone fit these to the MS? I realise tyres are a personal thing but I would be interested to see what other opinions are.
Old 06-May-2004, 17:59
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Hi Martin,just like you,I was quoted 150 quid for a new rear Scorpion.Then I spotted an offer on Metzler MEZ3 in a magazine.They were 128 the pair.They seem to warm up pretty quickly and grip well.The handliing has'nt been affected in any way,well happy.
Old 06-May-2004, 18:26
Mille

Mood: Electrically challenged
Welcome back KB or have I just missed your posts of recent?

Anyway I'm still on original tyreswith 3,000miles on clock and by looks of them plenty of life left with no sign yet of squaring-off. Compare that with only 3.5k out of rear on my previous 750ss but then over 5k on 996.

Must be my riding style. Anyway what kind of mileage did you get out of original Scorpions KB?
Old 06-May-2004, 22:39
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
3700 miles and down to the wear bar.
Damn that B660!
BTW,I did over 300 miles on the MS at the weekend,up to the North West mega meet and back.Best bike over the A54.
Old 13-May-2004, 22:33
Big Twin

Decided to get another Scorpion for the time being, I may change to a different type of tyre when I need a pair. Managed to get a scorpion for £123 all in delivered to my door. I can get it fitted for £7.

They must be a fairly soft compound as putting the new one next to the one on the bike shows just how much that has worn in 1200 miles. I would say it is half way worn out. Bearing in mind that half the 1200 miles was the running in period of the bike!

Also what does it mean when the edges of the tyre go blue? I remember reading something about it somewhere. Is it something to do with chemicals in the tyre or heat cycles or something? My bridgestone 010s always used to do it on the 996s. And now the rear on the MS has done the same.

Someone told me that they have a lot less grip when they have gone blueish!? Can't say I have noticed.
Old 14-May-2004, 01:17
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Quote:
Also what does it mean when the edges of the tyre go blue? I remember reading something about it somewhere. Is it something to do with chemicals in the tyre or heat cycles or something? My bridgestone 010s always used to do it on the 996s. And now the rear on the MS has done the same.

Someone told me that they have a lot less grip when they have gone blueish!? Can't say I have noticed.

I think the blueish is a sign of overheating or being used to hard before properly warm. Hopefully Tyreman will pop in and give us the true definition.