Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 06-Apr-2004, 00:08

Ground Clearence

Who suffers from ground clearence problems?
What goes down first, pegs or exhaust heat sheild?
Does it upset the bike ( I remember the launch photos & many pictures of the bike lent a long way over & seemed happily scraping pegs etc.)
Is it a rider weight issue? (on the Multistrada site a guy was grinding the heat shield, but he was 18-19 stone).
Who has taken theirs on the track in the dry, was this a big problem?
Does adding rear preload & compression help?
Old 06-Apr-2004, 09:46
Mille

Mood: Electrically challenged
MR,
I'm 6'2" and weigh 15stone and have never had a problem with anything other than my boots scraping even with centre stand fitted.
It's either my suspension settings or 'cos I'm just a big Cissy Mary and don't get over far enough!
I like to think it's the former.
Old 06-Apr-2004, 09:56
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Rod,
I took my 'Strada around Mallory on the very wet DSC track day.In the wet I got the r/h peg on the deck!
The bike was on standard suspension settings,whatever they are,at the time.I have since wound the rear preload up a bit.(STD mark on the adjuster,plus two clicks)I can still get the pegs on the floor and have had the exhaust guard down too.Not big or clever as it causes the rear wheel to lift.
The rear brake lever can also touch.I once bent mine after getting a bit too carried away.On the left side the peg touches followed by the sidestand foot.
I guess pulling the forks up through the yolks and a bit of preload will help,but a stepladder may be required to get on the thing.The bike will be at a crazy angle on the sidestand too.
Normal riding(!!??),I use my toe sliders as guides.

[Edited on 6-4-2004 by KeefyB]
Old 06-Apr-2004, 16:27

Just to clarify then KB, the pegs go down before the heat shield? BTW if it is not indescreet how much do you weigh??
Do you think the standard tyres are up to a dry track day? Or should I fit the comp. Rennsports I've got sitting in the garage.

[Edited on 6-4-2004 by Multi Rod]
Old 06-Apr-2004, 18:30
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
To answer your question I think you just need to re-read this bit of KB's post.
"I took my 'Strada around Mallory on the very wet DSC track day.In the wet I got the r/h peg on the deck!" I can confirm that
a/ It was dam wet-standing water, and streams running across the track!
b/KB's Multistrada was on standard tyres.

John
Old 06-Apr-2004, 20:54
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
yep the big guy came around the outside of me on Gerrards.

I might be wrong but I think the blocky construction of the standard tyres might move around a bit if the tyre was really hot on a dry track.
Old 06-Apr-2004, 21:16
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Rod,
I'm 6'1'' and weigh around 15 stone.Yeah the peg touches first.As it folds up the exhaust guard touches followed by the rear brake lever.
Never had a prob with the tyres on the road,but as Ian pointed out,I reckon they would move about on a dry track.
Ive just fitted some MEZ 3's (got them v.cheap)yesterday and I'm waiting for the oppertunity to try them out.
Old 07-Apr-2004, 01:08
Big Twin

I found on Sunday the exhaust shield kept touching down and not the footpegs!
I scraped my boots a bit but the end of the pegs are unscathed at the moment.

I was a little worried though what would happen if the shield was already scraping and I had to tighten my line for whatever reason? The suspension is set at the factory settings except for the rear preload which I increased by a couple of clicks.

May be a little embarrased taken the bike in for its first service with half the shield ground away!

By the way I am 17-18 stone not 18-19 as previously mentioned!

Also I could not log in even with with a new password sent to me? So I have had to re-register as Martin H instead of MARTIN ?

Love the bike though even with all its little "faults"!
Old 07-Apr-2004, 08:40

It's strange that some people touch the pegs before the heat shield, & others the sheild before the pegs.
Old 07-Apr-2004, 10:35
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
I think it has to do with where you sit on the bike. If you sit forward on the back of the tank you will compress the front suspension more and probably grind out the heat shield first, if you sit back the peg is more likely to go down since the back is carrying more weight.
That's my theory anyway.

John