Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Mar-2005, 12:05
Mille

Mood: Relaxed
Hi Henry

Thank you for your welcome message. It's quite some time since I spoke to someone who rode a big Panther with a chair. Never rode an outfit myself but used to travel in the dicky seat of the Swallow sidecar attached to my Dad's Douglas Aero!
Yes I am getting a lot of fun riding the ST3. Shame it's wet this morning. I would have been out riding otherwise. These days I avoid wet roads as much as possible. Anyway don't want to mess up my shiny bike.
How does your 749 compare with your previous Dukes?
Regards Henry. Maybe see you at the Unicorn.
George
Old 28-Mar-2005, 15:39
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

I've been around the Sporting Club forums for a year or so but it sounds like I've just joined the Old Git's Club having taken delivery of an '03 ST4s ABS a week past friday.
I did have a 900ss in the seventies (the first black & gold one that all the mags tested), following an 860GTS and a string of Gold Stars and A10s. I passed my test on an Ariel Golden Arrow and for a while had an NH350 which was the worst bike I ever owned. I fell off that bike more than all the others put together, mainly due to the 20 year old front tyre which was a 20" and replacements couldn't be got then.
I've been riding a '95 900ss for the last 5 years (it's currently for sale).
The new bike had exactly 1000 miles on it when I collected it, haveing previously been owned by Triumph Motorcycles "for assessment", so it still needs a bit of running in yet.
Unfortunately the weather up here has turned really crap which is keeping me from getting out on the new bike.
Ariel, I hope you get many happy miles out of you ST3.
Old 28-Mar-2005, 19:08
Big Twin

George, the 749 is one hell of a bike by anyone's standards. You hear a lot of grumbling (still) from the 748/9xx camp, but it's mainly the asthetics that do not appeal. I never had one of the 748/9xx bikes, and having ridden Ruth's 996 back from Cadwell after Friday's track day I reckon I still prefer my 749 chassis for comfort. The pervious chassis is too cramped for my frame and after half an hour my knees were aching. Mind you, I was shattered fro the day's riding at that point. As far as the STs go, I liked the ST4s a lot, sometimes not sure why I traded it in. Now I think about it (again) I remember making a decision that as 99% of my riding was done on fast, twisty A and B roads around where I live (sth Lincs/Leics border), and just occassionally do some distances then I might as well go for the "sport" bias more that the tourer. In previous years when I was getting "back into the saddle" as it were, the sports/tourer was ideal for me because it could do anything. And in the case of the ST4s, I really mean ANYTHING. I have a huge amount of respect for that bike and if I went for a sports tourer again it would probably be that one, altohugh I would give the ST3 a punt as the DS motor is punchy. I've just done my first track day (every) and on the 749s at Cadwell. That's why my Avatar just got changed to the 749 with a white (as yet unpainted) race fairing to preserve the posh expensive road plastic. Fantastic experience, exactly the right tool for the job. The ST is just as capable on a track, as are monsters and numtpystradas (sorry, couldn't resist, I actually like riding the multistrada too having tried one for a day), but a full on sports bike is in it's element when on the track. It's not what you ride, but how you ride it that counts. I loved it at Cawell (after I got over the culture shock), learnt a lot about the bike and about how I ride, and tomorrow I'm off to book my next track day.

Hi Derek, nothing wrong with an ST4s. You said yourself it has a hell of a "stomp". I'd be ineterested to know how you get on with the ABS in the "real world". Should be good if it has a "sport" bias to it rather than playing it too "safe"?

Henry
Old 29-Mar-2005, 12:22
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

Hi Henry,

I have only managed 300 miles on the bike so far. It has rained solid for nearly a week now and the forecast for the next two weeks is more of the same.
I had to do quite a hard stop when a car pulled out on me last week but the ABS didn't cut in. As yet I haven't been aware of the ABS on the road. The 2004 ABS model gets a very good appraisal in the US Motorcycle Consumer News, claiming it allowed them to do 45 degree stoppies I think I'd prefer to keep both wheels on the ground, especially the front one. It also achieved a stopping distance of 110 feet from 60mph compared with 124 feet for a Honda ST1300 which is better than 1G - pretty impressive. The ABS can be switched off but I don't think I'll bother.

Derek
Old 29-Mar-2005, 14:03
Mille

Henry.Thanks for your message and your opinion of the 749 and I note that you find the bike comfortable.With regard to the bike's looks I think it's just great. I have never ridden any of the 7's so your thoughts on these bikes are very much appreciated.Can understand why you opted for the 749 when you like to ride the fast twisties around where you live. We are both lucky that we have some wonderful roads in our neck of the woods A606, A607, A6006, B6047 etc etc. Who knows one day you may see me "pottering" along on my ST3! Know what you mean abot the ST's ability to do anything and I have been surprised at how the ST3 can really get a move on when necessary and so faster revving than the Multistrada, suppose that's all down to the desmotre configuration.
Can see how much you enjoyed your track day at Cadwell. Perhaps you should keep the white fairing on when you are road riding it might cause the outer lane hoggers to move over thinking you are the plod!
My old white BMW 75/6 has had this effect sometimes, although I rarely ride it nowadays.
Hope you have great fun with your next track day. Yes most certainly it's not what you ride but how you ride it that counts.

George
Old 29-Mar-2005, 14:13
Big Twin

Quote:
Perhaps you should keep the white fairing on when you are road riding it might cause the outer lane hoggers to move over thinking you are the plod!
My old white BMW 75/6 has had this effect sometimes, although I rarely ride it nowadays.
George

The white fairing would certainly get me some attention, but unwanted attention from Mr Plod! It has no headlight you see! It is also really rough being a hand made fibregalss affair. Not a good substitute for the lovely shiny original plastic.

Henry
Old 29-Mar-2005, 14:23
Mille

Derek. Welcome. as you put it to the Old Git's Club. now you have just taken delivery of an ST4s with ABS. Interesting that the bike had been previously owned by Triumph Motorcycles for assessment. Have lots of fun on your new bike when the weather picks up in Angus. You have got some great biking roads North of the Border.
I had to laugh at your comments regarding your Ariel 350 NH. and the ancient 20" front tyre
I am rather reticent to admit that the Red Hunter was one of my first bikes and when I rode it this was considered "state of the art biking"
Have fun Derek
George
Old 29-Mar-2005, 19:52
Mille

Mood: bleedin ecstatic!
Hi Henry, was thinking of doing the same replacement fairings on my 749, could I ask how much they were and where you managed to find them?? (sorry to jump into your thread here..)
Old 29-Mar-2005, 20:24
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by sonic
Hi Henry, was thinking of doing the same replacement fairings on my 749, could I ask how much they were and where you managed to find them?? (sorry to jump into your thread here..)

You have U2U