Ducati Sporting Club UK

Prev   Next
Old 10-Mar-2005, 13:43
888 at Last !!!

05 Ducatis HP figure - True or BS??

Ducati announced a fairly big increase in clamied HP figure for the 05 999 range.
The claimed HP for the base 05 999 is now the same as the HP claimed for the 04 999R. And the claimed HP for the 05 R is 11HP more than the 04 R.

I don't doubt 05 999's have a bit more power (2-3 HP???) than the 04 models, BUT i highly doubt a base 05 999 have the same HP as the 04 R or the 05 R have more 11 HP than the 04 R.
I think (not sure) this is all more a marketing thing than anything else.
And i've heard (just heard) that Ducati simply used a different dyno (or different kind of method to measuring HP).

To ad to that i noticed that Superbike Magazine did 2 comparos in different months and if you read the HP results carefully you'll find something fishy is happening.
It goes like this....... in Superbike 04 August issue they did an Italian comparo (with the Benelli Tre, the Aprilia RSVR Factory and the 04 999R) and the rear wheel HP measured figures were (if i stand correct, because i don't have the mag here):
999R - 133 HP
RSVR Factory - 123 HP
Benelli - 123 HP

On another issue (November??) the same magazine did a twin comparo between the base 05 999, the base RSVR and the VTR SP2.
On this comparo the rear wheel HP measured figures were (again, if i stand correct, because i don't have the mag here):
999 - 133 HP (which would confirm Ducati's claimed figures)
RSVR - 133 HP
VTR SP2 (don't remember but it's irrelevant here)

NOW........... the fishy thing is........ the Factory and the RSVR have the exact same engine so there is no chance that the RSVR could have more 10 HP than the Factory (and not even 133 HP, because that's more than what Aprilia claims), which means the base 05 999 doesn't have 133HP but around 123HP just like the RSVR!!!

I don't know, but i think people are being bullshitted with this 05 999's new HP figures (just like it happens with the jap bikes).

Ok, sorry for the long post but i would like top know your views on this. And can anyone confirm this or not?
Anyone have real dyno figures comparing the 04 999's with the 05 999's???