Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 01-Feb-2005, 14:07
Mille
Bikes: Ducati ST2

Mood: Fruity
ST2 open pipes + chip questions

Hi guys

Been talking to neil at cornerspeed about fitting Duc performance pipe and chip to my 2000 ST2.
Does anyone know the power gain?
Is the chip reprogrammable so that I can but holes in the airbox?

Are there any alternatives to the ducati performance pipe +chip kit?

cheers,
Jon
Old 01-Feb-2005, 14:31
Bikes: 1998 ST2

Mood: Got the bike ready for my first visit to the TT and it then got cancelled!
Hi Moozaad,

I had my local dealer fit Duacti Performance end cans and chip to my 1997 ST2 three years ago. It was not cheap at around £500 but I think it was worth it. I chose the alloy cans so they look just like the originals. As a bonus, although they do not carry the E3 marking, neither do they state 'Not For Road Use'.

I cannot vouch for how much the power increase was, but I felt it definitely added to the midrange and top end. Mind you this perception might be due to the wonderful sound that the pipes make. At the right revs, it's enough to set of car alarms!

Make sure you have the emissions re-set to match the chip. Properly set up, the emissions are slightly better than the standard set up. Fuel consumption is slightly worse, but that is due to using more revs to listen to the sound.

Me, winding up the engine and rolling off in the Dartford Tunnel just for the fun of it? You must be mistaken officer!

By the way, if you install the cans without the chip, I am told that the engine runs lean at the top end.

Phil

[Edited on 1-2-2005 by Phil Parratt]
Old 01-Feb-2005, 23:41
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
I felt that my ST was definitely more zippy with the addition of sil motor cans and JHP chip. I wiped one of them off the bike after a lowside and now I've got a pukka set of DP cans, but guess what...they're sil motor cans as well.

I'm not sure that they give a huge power increase but the bike does feel more responsive.
Old 02-Feb-2005, 12:58

I went to neil at Sigma and had the FIM chip and airbox modification, which is about six fiftypence size holes in the airbox, I am still running with standard pipes.
The airbox mod lets out a loverly Induction roar without offending the local plod too much.
It has smoothed out the bottom end and added about 6 extra horses, so Iam told, It does feel more responsive
Old 02-Feb-2005, 13:30
Mille
Bikes: Ducati ST2

Mood: Fruity
So it seems, airbox mod + chip (JHP, DP, or sigma) and a DP exhaust gives best results - if a little extra noise

DS1, Have you got a photo of your airbox mod?

I take it that I'd need to but the original exhaust back on for the MOT?
Old 02-Feb-2005, 15:53

No sorry I dont have a photo ,but the holes are at the front of the airbox near the seat. they are slightly spaced apart and the size of a fifty pence
Old 08-Feb-2005, 21:49
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
I fitted the full DP chip, cans, airfilter/box & sprocket kit to my ST4S.
The Airbox cover has the top half totally missing.
It is easier to describe it as just a 30mm high rim to allow the filter to be clipped on

It is very loud now though when riding it - induction noise mainly.

No idea of the real gains but it certainly livened the old girl up.