Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 31-Mar-2005, 21:35
Montjuic

Mood: tyred and exhausted
Mounting a sat nav system

Having been helped out on this site before I thought I'd come back for some more advice!

I have bought a Garmin Quest Sat Nav and I want to mount it on the bike. The best place to locate it would be above the top yoke.

There is a kit from Garmin with all the wiring etc. but this still requires mounting to the bike. Most people suggest a Ram mount but these all seem to require clamping around the handle bars which seem very crowded and will probably foul the fairing anyway.

Touratech do a great lockable vibration softening bracket for it, however I can't find anyone who sells an appropriate way of mounting the bracket on the bike (most of their stuff is really for BMW GS's with tubular bars).

The official Ducati system appears to mount the way I want mine to and so does the Triumph accesory for the Sprint but neither of my local dealers have ever fitted or even stocked one so the're not exactly helpfull. Both of these systems are older spec models than the Quest so the actual brackets probably won't fit.

Anyone got any solutions?
Old 31-Mar-2005, 22:17
Ducati Corse

I'm a bit out of touch with the newer garmin models but i have mounted my GPS3+ on the top yoke using the garmin bike bracket and some zip ties. Personally i think all these anti vibration/isolation mounts are a solution looking for a problem. We sold hundreds of garmin units and have never had a vibration related problem with any of them (apart from some early GPS2's which turned out to be a manufacturing problem). I've used my GPS3+ for three years now and its been fine.
Old 31-Mar-2005, 22:35
500SD
Bikes: 999 Mono/1198S

Mood: Messing with diagnostics
Mounting solutions

Here are some solutions for mounting on the top yoke.

http://www.gadgetguy.net/PhotoGallery/PhotoGallery.html
Old 31-Mar-2005, 23:20
Ducati Corse

I meant to add that i would have posted a photo but i'm moving house tomorrow and my camera is in a box somewhere!
Old 01-Apr-2005, 22:15
Montjuic

Thanks for the swift replies chaps. As always someone has found something that I couldn't (cheers ChrisW)

I think the gadget guy solution is the way to go for me, I just prefer bolts to zip ties when it comes to securing hundreds of pounds worth of kit.

The Touratech bracket may be OTT but I like the idea of it locking as I just know I'm bound to wander off and leave it sometime and come rushing back to find my new toy has walked.
Old 28-Apr-2005, 11:08
Montjuic

For the sake of anyone who is planning on doing the same I thought I'd post to let you know how it has all gone.

I ordered a bracket (Standard II) from the Gadget Guy web site which mounts perfectly. The only issue is that it has cost nearly twice the value of the bracket in postage to get it from the US. I think you could easily get it made cheaper here.

I also ordered the Touratech mounting plate. They lost my order somewhere in Germany but express mailed it to me when I chased it so not too bad. You cannot tell from the web but there is a way of permanently attaching the accesory lead to power it from the battery. This will have to wait as I want to ride the bike now.

The result is a system that fits together with no clearance (and I mean none!). A few knuckles were skinned when fitting but I am a ham fisted fool. The Touratech bracket in particular was quite fiddly with very small aircraft type nuts and bolts. It took a while to work out how to get it all on as some bolt heads are obscured by other parts.

It looks good and the Garmin Quest fits neatly above the yoke. None of the clocks are obscured although it does require you to look down to see what is going on. I do have a little trouble locking and unlocking the Touratech bracket as the lock is very close to the left handle bar. I have to keep the key on a ring on it's own.

All in all I'm happy. Off to Mugello soon so that should sort out any gremlins.
Old 08-Jun-2005, 23:50
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: R1200RT F800GS. Hopefully another Ducati soon

any chance of a photo

I have read all of this with interest as I have been eyeing up a Garmin Quest. I bought some stuff from Touratech and the delivery was to say the least extended, but the quality is good. Anyway is there any chance of a couple of photos of your set-up.
Old 09-Jun-2005, 08:30
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
You might also want to try a bracket from Ducati Designs, a simpler system that fits onto to the ignition lock mounting points.

Their web site is HERE, it was working yesterday but the site was having a few problems when I tried this morning.

Having said that it's a simpler system, it is SO simple you might want to sketch something out along similar lines and take it to a local engineering shop, it would probably cost you a few beers
Old 09-Jun-2005, 11:18
Montjuic

Any Chance of a Photo

Quote:
Originally posted by sehyde
I have read all of this with interest as I have been eyeing up a Garmin Quest. I bought some stuff from Touratech and the delivery was to say the least extended, but the quality is good. Anyway is there any chance of a couple of photos of your set-up.

I'll take a couple of photo's as soon as I can and post them here. You'll have to excuse the state of the bike as it's just done a 2,500 mile trip and I haven't cleaned it yet!

I have just got back from Mugello and the Quest performed perfectly throughout, except when I forgot to charge it up!

The only criticisms I would have are that it is quite a small screen to be looking at when you are doing over 150 kph (I realise there is a cure for this ) and that the mounting system I have used sets the unit quite low. This means that you have to glance down in order to look at it.

On the plus side the time saving when not having to stop and consult maps or getting lost was huge. It mean't we arrived directly at hotels with no worry and even used it to find the parking spaces that we used the previous day at the GP.

The Touratech bracket gives you a great feeling of security when you leave the bike for a couple of minutes. The Quest is locked to the bike which is a good thing as it does attract a lot of attention. I had problems with Touratech on delivery as well. They don't seem to pick up orders from the web very well and it was only after I rang them that the bracket turned up. Good quality kit though.

Next time I wouldn't bother with using the Gadget Guy web site as, whilst the service was good and the bracket of excellent quality, the postage costs were more than the bracket. The guys at Ducati Wolverhampton said they could have made something up for half the price!
Old 09-Jun-2005, 12:47
Mille
Bikes: 748

Mood: C'est la vie...
I gather from your profile that you have mounted your Garmin on an ST: Would appreciate a photo....

Anyone managed top mount a Garmin Quest on a 748 ? Any help much appreciated, Thanks